9 - It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

***heads up this chapter is long asf like almost 4.5K words

Spotlight on H. Now put to the test by one queenbee. Will H take the bait and go from Brady to Britney? Or will her goody two shoes mind set turn into the night's biggest buzz kill?

+++++

I turn, sighing as I run my fingers through my hair, heading through the lobby of The Annabelle and to the front door to go to 5 Guys for my lunch break.

Suddenly, Holden stands up from one of the armchairs, but I ignore him.

He frowns, stepping in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. His frown twists upwards into a hopeful smile, holding up a 5 Guys bag.

"I got you lunch," he announces.

I look from the bag, to him.

"Holden--"

"You don't have to say anything," he cuts me off. "Just eat," he pushes the bag towards me and I grab it after eyeing him for several seconds.

Sitting down on the couch I pull out the burger and hold back a moan as I bite into it. Holden sits beside me, watching me as I eat.

"Are you just going to stare at me?" I ask.

He shrugs.

"Friendship can't be bought back with 5 Guys."

Holden sighs. "I'm...I'm sorry. I know what you think of me, and it's probably all right. I mean I am kind of an asshole and I do want to fuck you but--"

I stand abruptly, grabbing my bag and stepping to walk off. Holden stand and grabs my wrist tightly.

"Harper wait," he groans tugging my wrist so I turn around. "I'm not trying to insult you I'm just trying to be honest. You want me to help you get into Yale right?"

Why can't he just help me because he wants to--without the promise of sex in return? That's what a real friend would do.

Maybe everyone's right. Maybe he's just not a good person like I want to believe he is.

I nod slowly in response to his question, plopping down on the couch as I put my head in my hands. I sigh trying to clear away my thoughts. I should tell him about ivy week.

"Lydia's after me," I mumble.

Holden sits down beside me.

"What? What do you mean?" he asks intrigued and...concerned?

I groan, sitting back and looking at him hopelessly.

"I stole some of the attention away from her from the Yale rep at the mixer. Now she's going to ruin me."

Holden pauses for a few seconds. "Did she say that?"

I nod.

My phone dings next--a text from Alejandra. I know she's pleased to have her spot back, though we were beginning to like each other.

"Lydia says turn in your knee socks, the necklace, and your headband tomorrow," the text reads. I show it to Holden.

"Shit," he mumbles under his breath and I groan.

"You're so bad at this," I accuse looking at him with a frown.

"No, I can fix this!" He nods. His face scrunches up as he thinks, and it's pretty adorable to be honest with you. "A party," he says to himself after a few seconds of silence.