What's Under the Bag?

Start from the beginning

Yawning softly, Flug picked up a vial of somewhat frothy white liquid. Studying the label carefully and writing out a chemical equation in his mind, he deemed this safe to add to the mixture and poured some in. The mixture fizzed slightly and gave off a horrible odor, causing Flug to reel backwards, gagging. He wondered if the mixture was ready by now and looked around the lab for something he could test this on. Occasionally, Black Hat would somehow get his hands on fabric used to create the supersuits of some heroes, and they would go to Flug for weapons testing. Flug never questioned how his boss would get ahold of these samples; one thing you learn quickly working for Black Hat Inc. is that you never question your boss under any circumstances. Rather, he'd accept them gratefully and use them whenever he could. He grabbed the box of this month's samples and a pair of tweezers for safety from the end of the table.

"This better work." He muttered to himself, grabbing a square of fabric with the tool and lowering it into the mixture. He held it in for a few seconds before raising it back out and smiled with satisfaction upon seeing holes already being burned into the fabric. Finally, he'd done it! He would start molding and filling the ammunition for the gun tomorrow, but for now, he was so, so tired....

No! Flug mentally scolded himself. He knew better than this! No rest until the task was done, and that meant done. With a discouraged sigh, the scientist willed himself to keep his eyes open. Black Hat hadn't dropped in for a progress check since around noon, and Flug knew he was dead if he was caught slacking off one more time. He'd already been caught twice this week, and both times were the result of his sleep deprivation.

Dear god, the man groaned internally, hastily looking around to find the completed gun to show Black Hat when he inevitably arrived. I am going to die young if I keep living like this.

Flug almost considered debating work time with Black Hat the next time the two met but knew he would never be able to do it. It wasn't like he didn't have any guts; he clearly had a damn good amount to have willingly taken a job at Black Hat Inc despite the fact that it didn't show 95% of the time. It was the fact that his boss was stubborn as hell and wouldn't make a compromise for shit. Flug had attended enough meetings with clients that tried to make bargains to know that, and he knew he had a better chance of catching an STD without actually having sex than getting a schedule change. Still, a part of him wanted to at least see what his boss' reaction would be for future reference, and if he somehow died asking, he'd at least die knowing Black Hat would have to go through the process of finding a replacement.

"Flug!"

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear. Apparently, this applied to thoughts as well.

"Sir." Black Hat's sudden presence caused Dr. Flug to jolt. "How long have you been here?" He didn't recall hearing a door open.

"That's not your business." Black Hat scoffed. "I'm sure you know why I'm here."

"Yes s-sir. I do." Flug repressed another yawn.

"Well, get on with it, then. What progress have you made?" Black Hat crossed his arms and waited for an answer.

"Well, sir," Flug gently picked up the vial of acid on the table. "As you requested, I've successfully made a chemical that can burn through the fabric samples you've given me within seconds." He used the tweezers to pick up the fabric he'd dissolved earlier, which had deteriorated even more since it had been exposed to the concoction in the beaker. Black Hat's eyes widened and a slight smile formed on his face.

"Excellent." His expression fell. "That better not be all the progress you've made. It's been nearly a week, after all."

"Oh, no, sir." Dr. Flug shook his head and picked up the gun. "As you can see, the weapon you wanted is almost done. I just need to create some functional bullets, and this thing will be ready for sale."