Careless

A/N : Okay listen, if you saw those cringey ass responses to comments back in 2018, no you didn't
But welcome to the rewrite, the old version will still be below the chapters, you know the drill

Rewritten Version

A smile etched into your features, eyes gleaming up at the small stuffed horse on the store's shelf. It reminded you - the only horse related thing you've given him was a plush just like this one. But it just so happened that his dog, Polo, had tore into it.

Your smile soon faded, holding the plush in your hand, eyes staring downward at it. Polo was named after Marco, a late friend of yours. You took a moment to contemplate - would he be reminded, like you were, you thought. You were sure he's been reminded at least once every day. It was hard, trying to process grief. The guilt. But together, you've pulled through many things. Including this. Including all of the things you had felt, and still feel. He's heard you, and you know he has. He knows how to talk to you when you become like that. How to make you feel safe, worth, love.

This was a happy day, and you were dedicated to keep it that way. Finally sure, you decided to toss it in your shopping basket. Knocks one item on the list. Jean loves to be showered with affection, and gifts, especially on days like these. It's been two whole years since Jean proposed to you. Two years of bliss, floating on mere perfection. No arguments - surprisingly, since Jean is hot-headed, just like your brother. It's the communication that makes it all work. Nothing is kept secret between the two of you.

Hell - you live together.

That reminded you, you have seen chain pieces in his computer history. Among other things. Snickering to yourself, you started toward the counter to get the plush checked out when your brother called you. "Hey Eren." You hold the phone up to your ear, deciding to roam the store instead for the time being. "Is horse-face there?" His groggy voice responded. You scoffed, "Since when do you ever call about Jean?" "Well maybe I just want to check up on my friend." You hum in disbelief. "But that's not what you called for, so, what's up?"

There was a moment of silence on the line before he spoke once more. "Do you know where my riding crop is?" You groan in disgust before he starts back up again. "Listen okay, I remember Connie having it at the party whipping you with it so be my sorcerer and tell me where it is."

"Check the guest bedroom propped in the closet. But listen, speaking of horses," Mindlessly inspecting another item, you put it back on it's cold steel shelf. "what kind of chain would you think Jean would like? Silver, gold, rope chain-" "Chain? As in jewelry? As in a gift?" Eren interrupts. "Yes! Now help me decide." He hums. "What's the occasion? I don't remember anything. The asshole's birthday passed. Wait. Wait a fucking minute. Is it Christmas? How long did I sleep?!" A light chuckle fell from your lips before you clicked your tongue. "No goofus, it's our anniversary. Help me pick you ass!" "Fine. But you are not telling dipshit that I told you anything." He huffs, earning an eye roll from you.

Needless to say, you were finally done shopping. All the bags draped on your arm, you hop in your car, gently setting the bags down in the passenger seat. Sliding your phone out of your back pocket, you glanced down at the time. Lying to Jean wasn't your favorite thing to do. By far. You rarely ever did. When you did, however, you'd use them to your advantage in situations like these.

Earlier in the week, the two of you discussed whether you'd be able to take off work for your anniversary, to which you lied and told him you couldn't.

The night prior to that, you had shot your boss, Erwin a text, since he was also a close friend of yours. Permission granted, now you could do all the sneaky shopping without him knowing.