Chapter One - Kehlani's POV

"Micah! Micah! Micah!" I looked out the window waiting for an answer. After about 20 seconds, she finally came into the living room with an annoyed face. "What?" She said, not in the happiest mood. I pointed out the window and she looked. Outside you can see two men throwing hands at each other, being as reckless as possible. A few feet away from them you can see a piece of crumpled paper lying on the ground, about to be lifted up by the wind. I wonder if the paper had anything to do with their fight. Then all of a sudden Bluecoats drove up to where both men were fighting and got out of the car.

There were was a man and a woman who got out of the car, and both made eye contact with each other every step the took. The two men fighting didn't seem to notice the two Bluecoats approaching them and were still at it with each other. Then the man Bluecoat started to say something and both of the men immediately stopped fighting. One of them was wearing your usual Level One clothing and another was wearing what must've been part of the Upper Section's clothing. He looked he could've been in the Upper Section (level's 13-19) because his clothing had designs and had more than one color but I don't see why he's in our Section.

The man from Level One turned around and started to run but the man Bluecoat shot him right away, which caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. He then turned toward the man from the Upper Section, his gun aligned to the center of his forehead. I quickly closed the curtains and heard another gunshot right after. I couldn't bare to watch another death and I know Micah didn't want to either.

Both of us faced each other. "Do you think you know why the man from the Upper Section is here at our Section? No one is allowed to go to different Sections besides The Assembly." I asking Micah, my voice shaking a little bit. "I don't know Kehlani. I don't think he had any business being here at Level One. But I don't want to think about it anymore. I'm tired of seeing all these deaths here in our Section." She rubbed her eyes and turned around and walked out of the room.

I had been living with Micah ever since we were both babies. My mom lives in the Subordinate Section, where all those didn't follow the law were sent away to, right after I was born due to all the crimes she committed. My dad was so close to making it into Cloud 19 but he died trying. But you may ask, if he died trying to make it to Cloud 19, should the section you should be living in Level 18? Yes, I know if you don't pass a certain level, the one that you passed, the one before, is the one you will be living in for the rest of your life.

I've thought about it my whole life. I should be living in the Section of Level 18 since my dad died at Level 19. But no, The Assembly decided that since I had no parents to take care of me, just send my sorry ass to Level One. Great. That's a bomb ass place where you should send a new born child to with no parents. And mom, my mom didn't even get a full 24 hours with me. After the second I was born, they took me away and sent me to Level One to live with Micah and her family.

They didn't exactly choose to have me living with them but they took me in as their own. I am forever thankful for what they have done for me. Micah's parents both taught us how to survive in the streets of Level One. Since our Section is the poorest, having a car is rare. Those who have cars usually only have one due to a family member who lives in the Upper Section's and could a afford to give one to someone as a gift.

But Micah's parents didn't know anyone in the Upper Section. They didn't even know anyone in the Mid Section. Everyone they knew was in the Lower Section and couldn't afford to by a car for somebody, let alone by one for themselves. Without no car, we would have to walk. Micah's parents strictly told us to never leave each other when walking to school, going to get food, or basically any time when we are not in the house.

On our walks to school we always keep eye of our surroundings. Coughing three times was our secret signal to let each other know that something suspicious was going on nearby and that we both need walk a little faster so we can get home quicker where we could be safe. One day we saw a man making a fire behind a building and got home as quick as we could. Later that day, we found out that he blew the building up and killed himself in the process.

Everyday something crazy happens in Level One. Everyone living here knows that life here is tough. But day by day, I learned how to get used to this life. For after what is soon out to be 19 years, I finally have the chance to live a new life. Not a never-ending dangerous life in Level One. At the end of the month is the start of Level Testing, where everyone who is 19 gets to be tested to determine what Section they will be living in for the rest of their life.

**************************************

welp. so that the beginning of my first kehlani story. ii just really hope it doesn't disappoint you guys.