Chapter 8: The Lost Child

Comincia dall'inizio

As George clarified, he gained his father's full attention. Arthur wasn't expecting this; however, he should have realized one of his kids would eventually ask this. He set his tea down and stared at it for a moment before looking back at George.

The pained expression on his dad's face caused George to think perhaps he had asked the wrong parent. He knew this topic would upset his Mum, but he wasn't anticipating this reaction from his dad.

"To be honest with you, Son, it may never get easier." Arthur's voice was faint as he spoke. "The pain of losing someone eventually fades, but you may find yourself thinking about your brother or missing him nearly every day." He looked back at his tea. "I know I have, for twenty-three years."

George barely heard the last thing his father said; perhaps he wasn't supposed to have heard it. He made a few quick calculations in his head. No one in the family had died around that time. He knew most of his family's history, and it's hard to keep secrets with so many people. Gossip and stories were the main topics of conversation at all family get-togethers, so at some point he would have heard something that would give a reason for his dad's current mood. But he either couldn't think of it or was completely in the dark. Curiosity got the best of George.

"Who were you talking about?" George ventured, hoping he hadn't crossed a line.

Arthur thought for a few minutes, uncertain on if he should tell George the truth. The only people who had known were him and Molly, their parents, and Bill and Charlie, which the kids most likely didn't remember. Something urged him to open up. It had been so long since he had talked about it, he really needed to get it off his chest. He couldn't bring himself to look at his son, though.

"You have an older sister." Arthur drew in a shaky breath. "Well, you should."

George was speechless

"...She was stillborn, and after all was said and done, we agreed never to talk about her. And that worked for a while."

Even though Arthur fell silent, George sensed he really needed to talk about it now. He wanted to know more also. "What was her name?"

"Gracie." He hadn't spoken her name since he and Molly had decided to pretend nothing had happened. It felt nice to finally say her name again.

"That's a pretty name. I like it."

Arthur nodded, not trusting himself to speak. A lump had suddenly formed in is throat.

"Is that why there's four years between Charlie and Percy?"

"She'd be turning twenty-four this month."

Arthur couldn't hold it in any longer – He broke down. The only thing George knew to do was hold his dad tight, and Arthur clinged to his son. It was a long time before he could pull himself together, but that's what two decades of built up emotions does. George didn't let go until his dad did.

Arthur took several deep breaths and dried his face with his sleeve. "Sorry about that," he muttered. "I think I'll go back to bed."

"Dad," George stopped him before he could stand. "There's nothing to be sorry for. That must have been terrible to go through. And not talking about it probably didn't help any either. If you still need to talk, neither of us will be sleeping any time soon anyway."

They sat in silence until Arthur felt he could speak without bursting into tears again.

"Years passed and I barely thought about her, but as you all got older, I found myself wondering more and more often what things would be like, what she would look like, her personality, her career." He paused briefly. "That's the worst part now...not knowing."

"Can I tell what I think? I think Gracie would be a lot like you." Hearing someone else say her name brought tears to Arthur's eyes again; he was able to control it this time though. George wasn't trying to upset his dad more, but it was the truth. With how much Ginny resembled Molly, it was only logical to assume Gracie would be more like Arthur.

"There you are," Molly said softly as she entered the kitchen.

Not bothering to hide his disappointment at this interruption, Arthur said irritably, "Yes, here we are." The first time he had been able to talk about his baby girl who had been taken from him had been abruptly ended by the appearance of his wife.

"What is that you're drinking?" Molly asked.

"Tea," Arthur said casually.

"It's just tea?"

"Yes," Arthur snapped back. "Do you think I'm lying?"

"I'm not sure what to think these days, especially when I get up to use the bathroom and find you down here every night."

"Mum, it is just tea, and he hasn't been doing anything he shouldn't," George broke in before things could escalate.

"You've been eavesdropping on us," Arthur accused.

"No, I haven't. But maybe I should have been since you're being so defensive."

Before George could open his mouth, Arthur shot him a warning glance. Quickly, George stepped back. This was the last place he wanted to be right now, but even though he trusted his dad, Arthur wasn't watching his temper at the moment.

"Or maybe it's none of your concern. Otherwise, I would wake you up and invite you to join us."

George came to stand behind Arthur and whispered in his ear. "Maybe you should talk to her about this. I said the other night you should talk about whatever's bothering you."

"This isn't what's been bothering me. Nothing is bothering me! And I expect you won't say anything about tonight." Arthur pushed George's hand off his shoulder, mumbled something about going back to bed, and left the kitchen.

George looked at his mum. "You better not try blaming this one on him. Goodnight."

Molly stopped her son as he passed her and looked at him pleadingly. "What were you talking about?"

"Sorry, I'm not telling you. He told me in complete confidence. You know, he may have opened up to you if you hadn't come in here with an attitude." He left Molly by herself to think things over.

George poked his head in his parents' bedroom. Arthur was in the bed, facing away from the door.

"Dad, don't worry. I won't tell anyone."

Arthur didn't move or acknowledge his son.

"And if you ever want to finish that conversation...I'm here."

A/N: There you go. Comment and let me know what y'all think.