Chapter 6: The Prodigal Son

Start from the beginning

"No – no, I don't really want to talk about it." Arthur replied while scratching the back of his neck, avoiding his son's gaze.

"Come on, you can tell me, I mean I know I've not been around but..." Percy gently urged his father.

"It's not you, Perce. It's just...I'm ashamed of myself is all," Arthur mumbled.

"Oh, okay," Percy looked downcast. "Well, I guess you should get home and get all that taken care of."

"Yeah, yeah, you're right," Arthur said distractedly. "I'm glad we could work this out. I'm sure everyone else will be happy you're back."

"Do you think I could come by for a few minutes, tonight?"

"R-right now?" Arthur stuttered.

"Yeah. Is there something wrong with that? I mean, I don't have to tonight. I just wanted to see everyone, especially Mum. I was real ugly toward her –"

Arthur cut off his son's rambling, "No – I mean – it's just – well – I'm not going back to the Burrow tonight." He didn't want Percy to feel unwelcome, but he didn't want to tell him what happened either.

"What do you mean? Where are you going?" This didn't make any sense to Percy. Why wouldn't his father go home, especially after getting a beating like that.

Arthur thought for a moment, trying to figure out what to say without telling Percy about the fight. "It's not that I don't want to. It's that I...can't." He said this last word quietly. "And I'm not sure where I'm going, because everywhere is full."

"So that's why you have a bag." Things were starting to make sense to Percy, but not completely. Why was he all beaten up? Why couldn't he go home? What had he done to be so ashamed?

Arthur nodded.

"Dad, please tell me what happened."

He could tell Percy wasn't going to let this go and he would find out eventually, so he decided to get it over with, "Alright, but not out here. I don't want to be overheard."

"Well, my flat is just over there," Percy pointed to a green building down the road. He led the way to his flat. "And you can stay with me too, if you want."

"Thanks, Perce, but I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Why not?"

"The family's a bit divided on this. I just don't want to put you in the middle like this and risk you not being welcomed back by everyone."

"Let me hear your side of the story and decide for myself, then we'll figure out where you're staying."

Arthur and Percy entered the flat a few minutes later. It was a nice little flat with a sitting room, one bedroom, a bathroom, and a kitchen with a small table. It looked like Percy was making a decent living.

"Dad, why don't you get cleaned up then we can talk. The bathroom is just through there." Percy pointed to a door across the flat.

Arthur got cleaned up and changed then joined his son at the small, round kitchen table.

"You look a lot better," Percy said. "You want some firewhiskey or butterbeeer or something?" Percy asked, walking over to the cabinet.

Arthur hesitated before replying, "No, thanks." Then added under his breath, "That's what got me into this mess."

"What do you mean 'that's what got me into this mess'?" Percy asked while sitting back down across from his father.

Father and son sat in silence. Arthur was trying to piece together what had happened that afternoon. He wasn't completely certain of the events that had led to his banishment from the Burrow – just that he had almost hit Molly.