The realtor who helped find their house left them a bunch of cool places near their new neighborhood.

And Artemis was going to use that realtor's list for her night exploration.

Once she couldn't visibly see her parents' car anywhere, Artemis immediately left the front lights on, closed the front door and locked it behind her.

Adventure time.

Slowly as she walked past the perfectly placed houses on her street, the sky slowly began to grow darker and darker.

Artemis didn't know where the heck she was going, but she hoped to find something scenic.
Something scenic enough to make her heart beat faster.

She soon stopped at the entrance of her neighborhood, where an intersection stood between the neighborhood and the city right across.

As she took a deep breath, her eyes immediately locked into the nearby streetlight next to the WALK/DON'T CROSS lights.

She couldn't detect who it was, but Artemis could tell it was at least a male. Maybe a young adult if she was trying to be even more sure.

The shadowed figure had his back turned, facing a few buildings in the city,

Artemis's heart beated.
She should be really get going back to her home, but something in her mind told her to just stick there for a while.

The streetlight over the dark figure continued to flicker every few seconds, but she did see something visible.

Smoke running from the figure's mouth.
Smoke and more smoke.

At first, she was shocked.
"That shit's going to fucking kill you." She blurted out.

She soon realized her mistake.
She accidentally spit her thought aloud.
She soon watched the figure flinch as it paused from smoking for a moment.

The figure blew out some more smoke out of his mouth, still not looking back at who said it.
Artemis took this opportunity to hide in some nearby bushes, hoping to not be visible.

Just as she had perfectly hid in some burly bushes, the figure turned around to see who had made that stupid comment earlier.
Artemis was frightened that he would march right across the street and dig her out of the bushes.

But he didn't seem to look like he was going to walk.
She still couldn't see a face, but she could tell that maybe he was maybe- well partially- amused with the comment.

Because the things that came out of his mouth next surprised her even more.

"I don't give a shit if smoking kills me." He shouted to nothing in particular aloud for all to hear,
"Maybe I want to be killed anyways!"

That was when Artemis's thought of a male was proved corrected, and she stayed silent.
The figure continued to face her direction, maybe hoping that whoever said the statement earlier would come out clean.

Artemis didn't want to do that, as much as she felt guilty at the moment.
She quickly checked her phone for the time (8:32), and also at the same time felt relieved for her mother's text.