Chapter 12

Chase POV Continued

"Yeah, some friend,” Lola said coldly.

What I wanted to do was stick up for Zoey, who had been best friends with Lola since they were little. I hated that something was getting in the way of their friendship. And that something was me.

I started trying to piece everything together. “Why do I think this doesn’t have anything to do with something Zoey did, but something she knows?”

Lola didn’t have a response. Which was when I realized I was right.

“Just tell me the truth,” I said flatly. I knew in that instant that Lola and I were over. There was no way this was going to involve some kind of misunderstanding that would make everything okay. If it was enough to make Zoey uncomfortable and deceive me, it must’ve been bad.

Lola studied me briefly before her bottom lip started to tremble. My instincts told me to reach out to her. My head told me this was all an act. I remained still.

“I’m so sorry.” She covered her face with her hands. “I’m so sorry.” She then leaned into me. I didn’t move. I wasn’t going to wrap my arms around her and comfort her when she wasn’t doing the one thing I’d asked her to do: Tell the truth.

“What happened?”

She straightened up and began wiping away her tears. “I …” For a second I thought she wasn’t going to tell me. That I would have to get Zoey to fess up.

Lola must’ve realized she wasn’t going to get any sympathy from me. “You know I’ve been hanging out with Vince. Things just sorta happened on New Year’s, but you weren’t there, so I didn’t think it was a big deal. Then I realized I wanted to see if what he and I had was real, you know? But I didn’t want to give up on us and I guess I was confused and didn’t know what to do and it’s obvious you hate me now.”

She finally took a breath, which was enough time for me to understand what she had told me. Something had happened on New Year’s Eve. Even though Lola had already told me the opposite. And if I remembered correctly, that was the same time Zoey had started acting different anytime Lola was brought up.

So Zoey knew something had happened and had kept it from me.

I knew I should’ve been furious with my girlfriend of nearly eight months. But instead I was disappointed in Zoey. She had to choose between Lola and me. And she’d chosen Lola, the liar.

I stood up. “Thanks for telling me the truth at last.”

I didn’t even wait for a response. I walked out the door and knew there was only one person I wanted to see. I realized I should’ve been mad at Zoey for keeping this secret from me, but I was more worried that I was going to lose her.

What started as a steady walk quickly developed into a jog. I’d never had to worry about losing a friend over ending a relationship with a girl. But this was different. Zoey had known Lola for practically her entire life. I wasn’t going to ask her to take my side, but part of me thought that she was going to be put in that position. I’d be totally cool with her and Lola being friends. But I didn’t think Lola was going to be that generous.

While Zoey should’ve told me what was going on, I didn’t really blame her. She was being a good friend to Lola. Because Zoey was a good friend. She was loyal. But that loyalty also made me worried that she would pick Lola.

I could see Zoey in the kitchen when I approached the house. She looked up and saw me. She gave me a weak smile, probably knowing that I finally knew the truth. Or was she dreading having to dump me? She opened the door, and neither of us moved.

Zoey 101: All Or Nothing ☑On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara