Step One

I headed down the path tired, bloody, and broken. My body was covered with wounds, some have started to heal, but I could smell the threat of infection coming my way. My black jacket was torn and bloody, fortunately my pants matched the blood, so no worries on that. The orange collar on the jacket was ripped at the top to the bottom of the seams. The only thing untouched was my light blue shirt and my blue stoned necklace wrapped in golden wiring. I went to take a drink from my pouch and the only thing to quench my thirst was singular drop o f water. The pain became numb to me, the only thing I could feel was the irritable burn in my left ear. My sword hung from my left hip, swinging with each stride I took. Fresh blood dripped from the sheath, it was still warm to the touch.

I continued to walk down the path, the forest was all around me, dark, dank, and lonely. A scratchy buzz rang in my ears. I tried shaking my head but the noise wouldn't stop, but that is when I realized exactly what it was. The annoying voice of my counterpart erupting from a gold en earing on my left ear. "You know you better follow the master's orders this time Blu, otherwise, you'll have more than me on your ear." The voice snickered.

I rolled my eyes and pushed my dark, navy blue hair from my face. Gideon was his name, we aren't really friends, more like acquaintances that want to kill each other during every argument of the day. His voice is so scratchy and annoying that a fork in a blender sounds beautiful. Though he seemed to be an earring at the moment, Gideon was a shape shifter. When I failed my last mission my boss burned him into my ear, practically screwing it into my flesh. Hurt like hell. He was then cursed to live and work in the jewelry by recording everything I say or do and send it to HQ. I hate it, he's annoying, doesn't respect any of my rights of privacy, and is a pain in my rear. I would like nothing more than to rip the thing off and smash it into oblivion.

"You just have to rub it in don't you Gideon?" I sighed continuing my walk. "I know what the boss wants, and I will do whatever he says. I'll capture the prize and bring it to him. The girl will be mine." I paused looking at the sky. It was beautiful, light blue and barely a single cloud in the sky. My voice caught in my throat and tears threatened my eyes. "He won't be disappointed in me this time." Those words clenched at my heart as soon as they rolled off my tongue.

The pain from those words began to bring back the pain from my wounds. Flinching, I continued to trek, and narrowed my eyes as the crackling chuckle erupted from my left side. Gideon was laughing making my ear ring from the volume. I don't know what he finds funny, but it really ticks me off. One thing that I noticed about having Gideon implanted in my ear, I am the only one who can hear him, but he can hear and record everything I say as well as the people around me. It's weird, but quite fascinating.

Gideon erupted once more in another fit of laughter. "I wouldn't count on that Blu, you do have a tendency to completely screw up missions you're given. Especially this last one, hahahahaha, you got your ass whooped!" He paused laughing again. My pride was stung. He wasn't wrong, if I would have followed my orders I wouldn't  have been wounded and stranded in these woods. "Those Scortchers totally got the better of you, I am surprised the boss didn't punish you worse " I just groaned, "Gideon if you don't stop I will melt you." "I strongly advise that you don't. If you do that they will put me into your skull, and then the only way I'll get off is if you..." He paused. "Die."

I just continued on. I knew the rules and I knew the consequences for my actions against them. I simply huffed. "So much for favorite pupil, huh? It doesn't surprise me. They've tried to kill before, and now they are trying to make me do it myself." I chuckled and smirked. "Pathetic."

"I used to worship the boss like a god. When I was younger I was in a slave labor camp with countless other children, but I was never allowed near them. The people said I was too dangerous and left me in seclusion. We were all malnourished and dying." I said as I remembered the feeling of the cold hard chains and dank, blood, smelling rooms. The cries for moms and dads echoed throughout the walls. It was always dark, the floor covered in feces and bodies. The only light to be seen was from under the cold iron doors, and for me, my necklace. My necklace at the time was nothing special, at least not to me. I've always had it. It would glow in the dark when I was scarred, giving me a sort of comfort at the time.