04

RAPUNZEL

CHAPTER FOUR】
MOTHER KNOWS BEST

Nightmares plagued Rapunzel at night

Nightmares plagued Rapunzel at night. She often woke up crying due to nightmares of her Mother.

All she could remember was the bad of mother - not the good. In fact, was there any good to her?

Rapunzel shuddered. The mere voice of her Mother was chilling. The sound of her taunting "dears" and "flower". All her talks about how Rapunzel was not ready for the outside world — either she's too childish or she simply wasn't good enough,

Not all families were the best influence or supporters. Mother was the perfect example of that.

Not only was she awful, she was cruel and mean and she bullied Rapunzel for her rare power — a power Mother always requested Rapunzel to use.

Tonight was one of those nightmare nights about Mother.

A journey down to the kitchen was exactly the remedy Rapunzel needed for her insomnia. Food always did have a certain kind of effect on Rapunzel.

Mother never did let Rapunzel eat at night. It was considered a one of the deadly sins — is that what they were called? At least, that's what Mother called them.

Gluttony. That's what Mother considered it. Excessive eating. And maybe that's exactly what it was. Gluttony.

As Rapunzel neared the kitchens with a tear stained face, she glanced around. She couldn't help the habit of paying attention to her surroundings, as she had to constantly be on her toes.

Unpredictable is what Mother was. She would pop up at the most random times, and she would torture Rapunzel at any given moment.

Rapunzel still feared her after a couple of weeks of living at the Mansion with the other students. She was often able to hide her fear, but sometimes they noticed how she inspected every piece of food they bring her or how she scouts out the hallways.

Whenever she heard Mother's voice in her head, she felt like a little kid again. She didn't understand how easily it was for her to go back into that mindset of survival.

Professor Xaviervhad already offered Rapunzel a spot on the X-Men. Peter and Jean urged her to join, saying they were like a family. It was Scott who had warned her that they do have to fight threats to the world.