Chapter 1

A whole new life. 

That's what Mila wants to start with. Even though her childhood and her time as a young adult was graced with a normality that not everyone knew. She had been loved by every person around her and maybe she was even a bit spoilt. Not that her family cared. They always had done everything in their power to give her everything the world had to offer. 

But now she was all on her own. Alone in the world. So far she hadn't found out if she would grow accustomed to being alone. The sad thing is, that Mila didn't have a choice in that matter. For her whole life she was surrounded by people she loved. It's shocking how fast that could change.

Mila had been the only adoptive child by a married couple that couldn't have children on their own. They adored Mila from the second they laid eyes on her when she was a baby. From that day on they had been the perfect little family, living in a small town, living a small town life. Their neighbors were the families' friends, feasting with barbecue parties whenever possible. Her father worked as a constructor and sometimes went on business trips, while his wife, who worked as an assistant to the local vet and his daughter stayed in town and enjoyed the girls-only-time. 

When Mila decided to visit Med School after college, her parents were equally shocked and utterly proud. They had the horror prejudice of doctors over working and falling into depression and alcoholism, but on the other hand loved the thought of their daughter saving lives and having an incredible career. But what Mila always knew was that they would've supported her whatever she would do. 

Med School went perfectly fine for Mila, she always had been a good student and eager to learn. She also had always been good with people while still knowing how to keep a professional distance. And, of course, she had that kind of ill curiosity about everything medical. Being a doctor was her dream and she was living it. 

Mila had been in her fourth year of residency when everything changed. After Med School she had moved out of her parents' home and went to live with her boyfriend Dan. He was a nurse in the hospital she had taken internships in whenever possible. They had fallen in love there and Mila started working in the small hospital after she graduated and got her Doctor's degree. The couple moved into a small, but cozy flat near their workplace. Another part of the perfect life. 

The day seemed to be as usual. Mila worked a long, stressful night shift with lots of drunk people getting hurt and coming to the emergency ward. Together with children with broken bones and very old people having their complaints and aches, these were the usual patients for the young doctor. For most eager resident doctors that would be boring, most of the patients didn't need to get near the OR, but it was what made Mila happy. Nearly every doctor forgot about the 'easy' cases. She had saved quite a share of lives because she took everyone coming for help seriously. Because of her friendly nature towards every person crossing her, she had earned the nick name 'smiley'. 

As every Saturday morning, Mila went to see her parents after she finished her shift. They would have a huge breakfast and talk about everything that happened during the week. Afterwards Mila and her mother would prepare lunch and wait until Dan arrived from his morning shift. Mila loved this ritual. They got along so perfectly and seeing her parents happy made the young woman's heart swell. 

Mila walked down the quiet, clean street that she had seen so often since her childhood. She had learned to drive a bike here, had played with her childhood friends and got her first driving lessons here. So many memories. The young doctor smiled when she saw the house. It wasn't huge, but not too small and mostly made off wood. She remembered how long her father had worked on the porch until it looked good enough for the ambitious constructor. Her little playground in the garden had disappeared as Mila grew up, but she knew that her parents were impatiently waiting for future grandchildren to lit the garden with cheerful playing noises again.