Chapter 2

Elijah was sitting with his friends, dodging the grapes that his friend Alex was flinging at him with a spoon. "So,", his friend James began, "Who's that girl? The one you winked at earlier and were low-key following."  Elijah laid his fork down, "Emma Connor.", he said dreamily, "She's just...wow. I don't think she even knows she's cute! It's a shame, really." Alex laughed, "Have you seen her friends? They probably don't let her believe that because then she could leave that group and find new friends." James nodded, "And she's weird. Why is she so quiet? Quiet people are always plotting something!" Elijah rolled his eyes and threw a grape at Alex, "Why do I hang out with you dolts?", he mumbled.

 After lunch, Elijah walked through the courtyard to get to the science hall. As he walked, he tried to get the image of Emma out of his head- the way her hair fell around her shoulders, and how her nose scrunched up when she was irritated. He had known her for a day and he already knew he cared about her a lot. She can't stand you, idiot, Elijah reminded himself as he walked into his classroom and sat down. He looked up as a shadow fell across his desk, raising an eyebrow as he recognized one of the girls he had seen Emma with. "Hi. Alice, right?", he said. "Yeah. Emma Connor's best friend. Look, I'm fine with you liking Em', but you should know that she isn't like most girls, and if you can't handle that, you can forget about ever bein' with her.", Alice said, "And if you ever hurt her, you better have a really good hiding spot.", she added with a dangerous glint in her eyes. Elijah, honestly startled, nodded, "Got it. Don't hurt Emma. Understood.", he nodded, letting out a sigh of relief as Alice walked away. 'She is really scary' he thought.