prologue

(a/n: hey guys! long time no see! im back for you with this stranger things-ish au! im a sucker for au fics so of course i had to write one. also, thank you so so much for your support on my last story! the comments and votes made my day each time, and it was all of you who inspired me to write this! i don't know how frequent updates will be, but i will try and have a update schedule soon.
without further ado, enjoy!
disclaimer: i do not own lok or stranger things. all rights to their original owners.)

the roses have wilted
the violets are dead
the demons run circles
round and round in my head
-source unknown

Her breath comes out in ragged gasps.

It's so loud she's surprised they haven't found her yet. She is trying to be quiet, but the tunnel is dark and dank and the adrenaline pumping though her veins is making her anxious.
She's never been one to scare easily. (Except for him. She was always scared of him. Wearing that fatherly, poisonous smile she fell for every time.)
She is familiar with the feeling accompanying nerves, but never has it been this strong. Maybe she was being foolish. Maybe this was a mistake. Maybe he was right, and she didn't belong out there, maybe she belonged here, where she was safe-
She doesn't notice when she reaches the end of the sewer. Her hand slips off the concrete, and catches on the edge of the metal rim.
She winces, but it doesn't hurt too much. Only a cut on her palm. She'll live.
(She'll live. That's what they told her when the needles pressed into her skin and the pain on her back was so intense she couldn't breathe. "You'll live.")
She watches as the blood swells, then falls onto her wrist, gliding down and over the tattoo.
Her gaze hardens.
She closes her palm.
They always told her she was "being foolish" whenever she had an individual thought.
(Then they locked her in that metal box until she screamed herself hoarse and only let her out when the sobbing subsided and she promised to not question their orders.)
She wasn't their toy.
She wasn't "Avatar," like the mark on her wrist states.
She is Korra.
And she will be free.

She jumps the gate right when the first alarm sounds.