Ch. 9: What To Do?

Começar do início

I sniffed. Wait, when did I start crying? Ugh! I wiped furiously at my tears and sniffled again, gaining my composure back. “Thanks, Brandon. That means a lot.”

“Now, what you should do is get a DNA test done, just to be sure.” Brandon ran his fingers through my hair.

Times like this I was glad that he treated me like a little sister and not like some other girl that he wants to go after. I know it sort of changes things since I was with his brother, but still. It meant a lot to me, especially since I’m an only child. It’s like he’s been my older brother my whole life. Just being here with him comforting me is helping calm some of my nerves. “I haven’t been with anyone else besides Derek and Zach.”

He was quiet for a minute, “Okay, but what if Zach makes you prove it?”

“Okay, but I’ll have to tell him first anyway to be able to get some sort of DNA from him.” I looked up at Brandon. “Man, Mr. Smarty disappeared on you there for a minute, didn’t he?”

He rolled his eyes, “Shut up. I wasn’t thinking, okay?”

I shrugged not really having anything else to say. My mind was in a million different places right now. I still don’t know what I’m supposed to do. What’s this mean for Zach and I? All this time, Cam has lived without a father. I know he needs one, and now he has one, but at the same time, I want to be selfish. I don’t want to have to have him go to Zach’s on the weekends or anything and I know that if Zach were to take me to court, I would end up being nice and giving him some sort of custody. But, when it came to Cameron, I can’t really be selfish. He really does need that father figure and Zach is here for that.

At the same time, he’s trying to get into professional baseball, I bet, and when that happens then he’ll be gone all the time anyway. How fair was that for me to tell Cameron who his dad was, only for him to be gone all the time? But he’s still here, and that’s better than thinking your dad is dead. And then you have miss prissy. There is no way she will make things easy when it comes to this. If I told Zach, then it could very well just ruin his engagement, and as much as I hate Christy, I don’t want that on my conscience. It’s not my decision who he marries.

I was so lost in my internal battle of what I should and shouldn’t do that I never noticed Cameron and Missy come back downstairs. “Mommy?”  I heard a soft sweet voice say to me. Then I felt the weight of my boy in my lap after he climbed onto the couch and onto my lap. “What’s the matter?”

I wiped the remaining tears and dried tears away and gave him my best smile, “Nothing, baby, I’m okay.” He searched my face, probably seeing if I was lying to him. I hated lying to him since I always tell him not to lie, but sometimes parents have to do that. Especially for something like this. I need to figure this out before I say a word to anyone. “Were you having fun with grammy?”

“Yeah! We played trucks and all sorts of toys.” He smiled at me and hugged me around the neck. “Can I go outside and play?”

“Of course, sweets.” I leaned forward and kissed his forehead before he jumped off my lap.

He looked over at Missy. “Wanna come, grammy?”

“Oh sure, why not?” She said and got up.

Cam shot out of the room like a bat out of hell. I chuckled softly and looked up at Missy, “You know you don’t have to go out there with him. I can go out there or….” I stopped and thought about it. “Brandon, would you go watch him so I can talk to your mom?”

“Sure.” He said and kissed the top of my head before giving my shoulder a pat.

Missy took his place on the couch beside me and she reached over, grabbed my hand, and held onto it, rubbing the back of it with her thumb. “What is it, honey?”