"Ghost-a-palooza"

Start from the beginning

Y/N: "I guess it's time to say goodbye."

Your eyes fill with water as soon as the word goodbye passed your lips, as if it opened a gate of feelings you've been holding back to not ruin the short time you had together.

Damon: "I don't want you to go, Y/N."

His voice cracks as he speaks your name while his hands tremble in yours.

Y/N: "I don't want to leave either, but Bonnie needs to get that veil back up. It would be selfish to keep it down."

He knows you are right, but he wishes he could keep this veil down forever if that means he would have you by his side.

Damon: "Then I'll come with you."

Y/N: "No you can't. As much as I would kill for us to be together, it's not how it's supposed to be. Besides, you're needed here with Stefan."

Damon: "But..I-I don't think I can move on without you. I don't want to."

You cup his face your hand and he instantly leans into your touch.

Y/N: "Yes you can. You just have to figure out what or who will make you happy again. If Elena is the girl for you, great. If it's a complete stranger, great and if it's no one at all, great, just please you have to stop mourning me."

Damon: "I can't, I-"

Y/N: "Sure you can. You are Damon freaking Salvatore! You can do anything. Besides, I'm not far away, just call my name and I'll be there. I promise. But you have to promise me something in return; Try to move on. I want you to be happy, okay? You deserve it."

A tear rolls down his face and you capture it with your finger wiping his tears away.

Damon: "I promise."

A nearby clock strikes midnight, signalling you that it's time for you to go.

Y/N: "This is it."

He draws in a short breath, terrified of what is to come.

Damon: "I love you, Y/N. God, I love you so so much."

Y/N: "And I love you, Damon. I always have. The moment you walked into that crappy bar I knew I was done for. I knew that this is it. That you're it. The one for me. And I will always love you."

You pull him down for a last kiss, the salty taste of his tears lingering on them. You savor every moment, and so does he. The moment you pull away, he pulls you back in and kisses you again and again, dragging out the moment as long as he can. But even he pulls away after a few moments, knowing that you might disappear any second.

Y/N: "Now, just turn around and don't look back. And don't you dare join me over there any time soon, okay?"

He nods, his lips trembling as tear after tear covers both of your faces.

Y/N: "Goodbye, Damon."

Damon swallows and opens his mouth to say goodbye himself, but he is so choked up he does not trust his voice to carry out the words he wants to say.

Y/N: "Go."

You smile through your tears, reassuring him that he has to leave. Now.

He traces his fingers along your arm and places a soft kiss on your forehead before he hesitantly turns around and walks away.

Y/N: "We were great together, weren't we?"

Damon stops, with a slight smile gracing his face, the tears streaming down his cheek as he looks over his shoulder, expecting to see you. The only thing he sees though is the empty spot where you stood just a few moments ago. Bonnie must have pulled the veil back up.

Damon: "The greatest."

However unbearable this moment was for the both of you, you at least got the chance to say your goodbyes. Most people are not that lucky.