I hesitated before shaking my head no. "No, its alright. I think I'm gonna pass, if that's okay?", I looked up to meet her gaze. Her smile had turned into a frown. I immediately felt my heart get heavy and the guilt settle in.

"Is it because of your stupid wrist?"

  Yes, but for some reason I still replied with a no. "I think I'm just gonna go to the beach for a bit. It's nice out, and I also need to call my parents, so yeah. It's fine, I'll just take a rain check and go next time?" I don't know where going to the beach came in, but it does sound nice.

  "By yourself?", Gem butted in. I nodded, smiling. I think they forget that I was an only child and didn't have people to do stuff with. Going to the beach by myself was pretty normal for me.  "Okay..."  She sounded unsure, but smiled anyways.

  I laughed and picked up my phone as it started to buzz. My heart pounded faster as I read the words MOM across the top. Answering, I places the phone to my ear.

  "Hello?", I answered excitedly.

  "Kay?" I jumped off the bed and ran towards the door, receiving weird looks from the girls as my dad's voice rang through the speakers. Kay was one of my many nicknames that I had collected from my dad over the past years.

  "Daddy?", I asked confused but excited. "Why do you have mom's phone?", I chuckled. I exited the room and stood in the hall, staring at the carpet.

  "Mine's dead, but that doesn't matter.", he laughed. "How have you been, baby girl?" I could tell that he was smiling by the way his voice would change pitches.

  "I've been good. Finally getting settled in. Getting used to every thing, I guess. The weather's been the hardest. It's different everyday. It's like it has mood swings or something.", I laughed. "How are you?"

  I smiled when I heard his laugh ring through. I began pacing slowly down the halls, listening to each word he said, taking it in carefully as if it would be the last time. "Ehhh, could be better.", He chuckled. "I miss my little girl." I sighed and the line sat silently for a second. "But.. guess what?!"

  "What?", I smiled bigger, pushing the thoughts about me missing him to the side. I just want to enjoy this time I have. There's never enough, so I have to cherish it as much as I can.

  "I wrote another book!" I chuckled. Of course he did. "It's called The Longest Ride. It'll be out probably around mid to late September."

   I love when he tells me about his books. I love to read them, and to just fully get lost is his words. It's like his own little world and he just makes it what ever he wants.

  "I kind of thought of you when I wrote it.", he tells me. "It's about a girl who goes to college and meets a boy from the south. He's far off from those frat boys..He's smart and knows how to treat people. Kind of someone, I guess, that I picture you with." Oh, if he only knew. I laughed mentally, but just hummed into the phone, listening to him go on. Man, was it good to hear his voice. I'd missed it and I didn't even realize how much until I felt a hot tear run down my face. I didn't say anything, just listened to him talk. "It's a little different, but-"

  "Dad, it sounds great. Don't doubt yourself.", I laughed, wiping the tear away. He chuckled into the phone. I missed that sound so much. I just need to see them again.

  I took a seat against the bland wall, a couple of doors down from my room. We have break in two weeks. If I buy a ticket now, I can probably get it cheaper than buying it the night before. 

  "I never do Khlo. So, enough about me, what about you, huh? What's been going on?"

  "Dad. I'll be home in two weeks.", I stated, not even really knowing what I was saying until it was out.