mundane

A/N: Hello lovelies 💚 You can go ahead and skip this chapter and head to 2, regard. The only thing to take from here is that she's the new kid, she makes music and she keeps to herself, all of which you see in regard as well. So save yourself the bore and hop to the next chapter! -Bee

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deetranada groans, rolling over to turn off the loud beeping of her alarm. She quickly places her pillow over her head and dozes off again.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

'Oh my gooddd,' she growls. She turns it completely off this time, double checking to make sure. She examines the time, 6:50 AM. She sighs, throwing her cover off of her and sitting up. She stares at her still new surroundings, her furniture and posters out of place on new walls and carpet.

Her family had been in Reading for a few weeks but it felt like a lifetime since she stepped out of her Baltimore childhood home. She shakes her head, not wanting to relive those final days there, the days that led to their eventual move.

She sighs, starting to stand. I'm not tryna do this today, she thinks to herself. She opens her door, peeking out for her mother. She jogs down the stairs, past the boxes of family pictures still waiting to be hung on the walls and finds her sitting at the table with her younger and older brothers, Nuzzle and Jermaine.

'Morning, baby,' her mother says with a smile. 'Hurry up and get dressed, Jay got class at 8.' 'Don't make me late again,' Jermaine says through a mouthful of bacon. She rolls her eyes preparing a smart remark before stopping, remembering her reason for coming down.

She sits, taking a sip of her juice, hesitating. 'Ma, can I--,' she starts.

'No, now go back upstairs and get ready,' her mother interrupts. 'You don't even know what I was gonna ask!' she replies. 'Ma, can I stay home, I don't wanna go,' Nuz says, mimicking her with a high-pitched voice. He and Jermaine laugh as she stares blankly.

'You not even funny bruh. And I don't talk like no valley girl.' She opens her mouth, preparing to continue when her mother interrupts her. 'You gon' make Jay late, hurry up', her mother says, stopping the impending argument.

Dee looks down, picking at her toast. 'Now, Diamond'. She rolls her eyes and stands quickly, sulking up the stairs. 'Roll 'em again.'

****

Music blasts as Dee walks through the Reading High courtyard. She can feel the stares as she approaches the front door. Damn, three weeks and ya'll still can let a bih live. She pulls her hood on, tuning them all out and letting her music take her elsewhere.

At her locker, she takes her time, laughing and smiling faces passing her as if she doesn't exist. She grabs her Chemistry book, a tap on her shoulder surprising her. She ignores it, thinking it was an accident until it happens again. She prepares a hard face, turning to face the person.

It's a security guard. He motions for her to remove her hood and she does, turning to close her locker and walk away. She waits until she turns the corner to put it back on.

She zones out as she walks down the hallway, the music doing little to lighten her mood but managing to help her escape. The rest of the day feels like a blur. In class, she sits in the back, doodling on her paper, her headphone cord hiding behind her arm.

During lunch, she sits alone, picking at her food, ignoring the stares and snickers that came from passersby. She notices a table full of other students, laughing loudly, their hands knocking on the table as they yell happily. She notices one, a dark-skinned boy with a high top fade. He smiles at her and she looks away, not wanting to be embarrassed if it wasn't meant for her.

On the bus, she sits quietly, her headphones blaring to avoid listening to the juvenile conversations around her. She stands to exit, tripping in the process. She glares at the boy who tripped her, his insults inaudible due to her headphones. She rolls her eyes, being sure to stomp on his foot as she walks off of the bus, rushing to her room.

****

Dee sits on her bed, balled up paper scrawled across her bed, a notebook in front of her open. She hums to herself, nodding to an invisible beat. A soft knock stirs her, it's her mother.

'Get some sleep Dee," she says. 'I will ma, just finishing something.' Her mother nods, blowing her a kiss before closing the door.

She returns to her notebook, whispering a bar to herself.

'I'm here to show hittas the truth or two, tryna hit a booth or two, whatever...' She pauses, considering what should come next. 'But no I'm not your shorty or whatever...' She scribbles it down, putting in her headphones to check it to the beat.

***

Hello lovelies I've always wanted to use Dee as a character in something so I figured why not. Hope you enjoy! New parts twice a week, maybe more if I'm super inspired.

-bdk