"It's sort of complicated," Donna sighed. "I ended up in a spaceship on my wedding day. Long story."

"But what led you to that meeting?"

"All sorts of things," Donna shrugged. "But my job, I suppose. It was on Earth, this planet called Earth, miles away. But I had this job as a temp. I was a secretary at a place called HC Clements – " She jerked slightly when HC Clements flashed into her head. "Oh. Sorry."

"It's the incense," the fortune teller shook her head. "Just breathe deep." Donna obeyed, and she kept speaking. "This job of yours, what choices led you there?"

"There was a choice, six months before, because the agency offered me this contract with HC Clements," Donna recalled. "But there was this other job. My mum knew this man . . . "

+++

"Jival, he's called," Sylvia told Donna as they walked out to the car. "Jival Chowdry? He runs that little photocopy business, and he needs a secretary."

"I've got a job," Donna told her.

"As a temp. This is permanent. It's twenty thousand a year, Donna!"

"HC Clements is in the city," Donna scowled. "It's nice, it's posh, so stop it!"

***

"Your life could have gone one way or the other," the fortune teller mused. "What made you decide?"

"I just . . . did," Donna shrugged.

"But when was the moment? When did you choose?"

+++

"It won't take long," Sylvia told Donna as they waited at the junction. "Just turn right. We'll pop in and see Mr. Chowdry, so Suzette can introduce you."

"I'm going left," Donna shook her head. "If you don't like it, get out and walk."

"If you turn right, you'll have a career, not just filling in!"

"You think I'm so useless!"

"Oh, I know why you want a job at HC Clements, lady," Sylvia narrowed her eyes. "Because you think you'll meet a man with lots of money and your whole life will change. Well, let me tell you, sweetheart. City executives don't need temps, except for practice."

"Yeah?" Donna scoffed, flipping the turn signal to go left. "Well, they haven't met me!"

+++

"You turned left," the fortune teller tilted her head. "But what if you turned right? What then?"

Donna frowned, feeling uneasy. "Let go of my hands."

"What if it changes? What if you go right? What if you could still go right?"

"Stop it!" Something heavy landed on Donna's back, and she shrieked, trying to look behind her. "What's that? What's on my back? What is it? What – what's on my back?"

"Make the choice again, Donna Noble, and change your mind," the fortune teller grinned. "Turn right!"

"I'm turning," Donna said faintly.

"Turn right. Turn right. Turn right!"

+++

"Well, let me tell you, sweetheart. City executives don't need temps, except for practice."

Donna considered, then sighed. "Yeah. Suppose you're right."

+++

"Turn right, and never meet that man. Turn right, and change the world!"