Chapter XXXVIII: Babies and Baby-showers

Start from the beginning

He glanced at my outstretched hand for a moment, surprised at my offer, before he took it, grinning. "Yes, Jules," he stammered, "I will be your friend. Will you teach me to duel? I heard you defeated Papa once." He queried eagerly.

I laughed at the memory, of the one time I had defeated the Duke of Anchorvale at duelling, much to the latter's discontentment. "But that was a long time ago."

"Sister-mine tells me you are still invincible," he looked up at Caroline with a beam, "I want to learn to duel like you. Then I will also become invincible." He concluded, looking intelligent.

"Mayhap Jules would like to rest before she teaches you anything, darling," Caroline interrupted, amused, "I am certain she is tired from all that riding."

"The Lady Knight is never tired!" Will pumped a fist in the air, "and she never fails to render help to whoever asks her for it. Sister-mine told me." He smiled a toothy grin at me.

I laughed again. By God, I did not know what kind of heroic bed time stories Caroline had told this little one about me, but I did know that I could not bear to disappoint him.

"How about you give me a few minutes, old chap?" I proposed, "I shall freshen up a little and meet you out in the gardens within ten minutes. Is that all right?"

"Jules, you do not have to tire yourself further – "Caroline mumbled, embarrassed, but I cut her off.

"That is quite all right," I smiled, standing up as I ruffled Will's hair, "anything for my new friend, yes?"

Will squared his tiny shoulders and beamed.

***

"Commander General Ma'am!"

I skidded to a stop moments before I reached the stairway, startled. I was about to go down to the gardens to give Will his basic lesson on swordplay, and I was not pleased at the interruption. Controlling my irritation, I turned around to face a man whom I did not recognise.

I decided to call him Nose Ring in my mind, in honour of the gleaming gold nose ring that was pierced in his nose.

"Who are you?" I asked bluntly, not trusting the look of him.

"I work in the kitchens, Ma'am," Nose Ring's coal black eyes seemed to brood down on me, as he held out a small piece of parchment, "and when I went to the market a while back, an unknown man approached me and demanded that I hand this to you without delay."

I was somewhat surprised at his fluency in English. The Staff never spoke formal, proper English, but chose to stick to the Monriquan slang instead.

Once more, I felt my eyes narrow in suspicion, but I still accepted the parchment from him, studying his features and committing them to memory.

Male. About five-foot, ten inches. Stocky build, packed with muscles. Dirty blond hair, black eyes. Pointed beard, curling moustache. Scar reaching down from the right temple. With an ear piercing, and a nose ring.

"Thank you," I nodded curtly, "you may return to your work now."

He executed a short, perfunctory bow, unsmiling, before he walked away. When I was certain he was out of earshot and sight, I opened up the parchment and read the surprisingly elegant script.

My dearest Lady Knight,

I have told you time and time again to stay out of my affairs, but you simply will not listen to me, will you? Whatever you do, whatever you try, I never miss my aim. If I want something, I will do anything to acquire it. In my own time, mayhap, but I will definitely acquire it.