Chapter XXXIII: Ices and Images

The Lady Knight

"How dare you destroy Jeanne's chambers thus?" a voice bellowed with unconstrained fury from across the Manor.

A woman's unintelligible whimpers were heard in answer.

I cringed. Oncle Tom must have found out about how Lady Rosanna wrecked Mama's chambers. As much as I hated the witch, I did feel a miniscule amount of sympathy for her for having to face Oncle Tom's rare, but fiery temper.

Shaking my head, I tried to walk as quickly as I could alongside Captain Everard and Captain Dupont and listen to what they were saying. However, they were too fast. Four of my strides could barely match one of theirs.

"Captain Dupont, I am telling you," Captain Everard was whispering, "the hand Ma'am and her friends found cannot be mere a random threat or warning. It surely signifies something. Diego would never send anything without a reason - "

"You had no right!" Oncle Tom yelled again, drowning out Captain Everard, "I care not what made you do it - "

His rage almost shook something within me. It had been many years since I had witnessed or even heard his phenomenal temper.

But Captain Dupont carried on, ignoring the deafening argument. "That hand could have been meant to merely scare Ma'am," Captain Dupont pointed out, keeping his volume low, "as Ma'am said - "

"You will never know what your Ma'am said if you do not slow down this instant!" I huffed behind them, panting, "gentlemen, some of us have shorter legs, and less responsive muscular systems at dawn. Have some thought."

Both men paused in their tracks for a moment, bursting into weak chuckles as I hurried to catch up with them.

"We beg your pardon, Ma'am," Captain Everard shrugged in faint amusement.

Dark circles ringed his eyes, as well as those of Captain Dupont's, and their shoulders had a definite droop to them. In short, they looked extremely exhausted.

"Neither of you slept at all last night. Do I speak the truth?" my eyes narrowed in disapproval, gesturing them to walk along with me down the corridor.

I was answered by silent, sheepish expressions and at once, I knew they had been guarding the Manor last night as an extra duty, along with the other Captains who were supposed to be on duty according to the duty roster.

"Captains," I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose, "we need to be at our highest alert, more so now than ever. For that, you need proper rest. The both of you especially overwork yourselves too much."

"I want to hear no excuses, Rosanna!" Oncle Tom hollered again, before angry, heavy footsteps were heard stomping away into nothing, accompanied by a woman's loud sobs.

Captain Everard shoved his hands in his pockets, wincing slightly. "None of us were able to sleep at all after you had discovered the hand," he admitted solemnly, "Diego could have so easily reached Lord Roche last night. If he could reach Lord Roche, then what would stop him from reaching the Prince on our watch?"

My expression soured. "That is true. And I am worried about his brother as well," I whispered, "what if the hand was his?" I fretted, as we dragged our feet down the stairs.

"Surely not, my Lady Knight," Captain Dupont shook his head vehemently.

"Mayhap you should make the journey today, Ma'am," Captain Everard suggested quietly, "to check on him."

I nodded. "Mayhap I will - " I started, when the sight in front of me, at the landing of the stairs, stopped me short.

More specifically, the sight of Nick and Tess at the landing of the stairs.