Chapter XXXVIII: Babies and Baby-showers

Start from the beginning

"No more handling the annoying Ladies of the Society." His eyes lit up at the prospect.

"No more Balls or social events," Captain Wellington perked up happily.

"No more around-the-clock shifts to protect His Royal Highness with equally irritating Captains," Captain Everard punched Captain Dupont's shoulder lightly.

"No more arguing with Captains with thick skulls." Captain Dupont retorted.

"No more standing around all day without doing anything productive." Captain Evans sighed.

"No more stays at noisy, packed inns." Captain Percival grinned.

"No more months away from my wife and my child." Captain Morrison quipped up happily.

"Captains, this is almost insulting," Nick tilted his head at all of us, amused, "would you not miss my charming company after spending so much time together? After all that we have been through together these many weeks!" He clutched at his heart dramatically, pretending to swoon.

The Captains took one look at each other, and broke into peals and peals of guffaws.

"Not a chance, Your Royal Highness," Captain Morrison held his sides.

"After your wedding, we will wash our hands off you, Sire, make no mistake," Captain Dupont promised, chuckling.

"You have been quite a handful, Sire," Captain Percival admitted, smiling, "I am afraid you are on your own after this."

"I am indeed so grateful to have such dedicated and brutally honest Captains," Nick muttered, shaking his head in amusement.

"Worry not, Sire. I think I might know of someone who might miss your supposedly charming company," Captain Everard chuckled, casting me a teasing glance.

More guffaws.

Nick attempted to make his eyes huge and wide with pretend surprise. "Truly? Will you miss me, Julie?" he smirked mischievously.

I merely rolled my eyes at him, before I cut Captain Everard a dangerous look. "You forget Lady Clarisse whom you are so clearly looking to court in the future is my cousin sister," I smiled sweetly, "so....would you like to repeat what you said one more time?"

Panic flitted across his face, and a faint shade of pink tinged his cheeks. "Nay, thank you Ma'am."

"I thought so," I snickered.

"Well, Sire," Captain Everard swiftly changed the subject, avoiding my eyes, "welcome to Anchorvale!"

***

"Good morning, Caroline. 'Tis good to see you again," I smiled at the Lady Caroline of Anchorvale, once her parents had left the receiving hall to escort Nick and the Captains to their chambers.

"'Tis wonderful to see you too, Jules," she grinned, gesturing to her beaming little brother beside her, "will you not say hello to Will? He has been very excited to make your acquaintance these few months, and he is an ardent admirer of knights in general."

I kneeled down to the five-year-old boy's height, looking upon at his huge green eyes which were filled with childish excitement, and held out a hand.

"Hello, Will," I greeted him softly.

"Are you the Lady Knight, Ma'am?" he lisped, solemn.

I gazed up at Caroline, amused. "To my King, the army and the criminals who fear me, aye, I am the Lady Knight," I answered, shrugging, "but to my friends, I am Jules. Are you my friend, Will?"