Chapter 4- Fixing the Unfixable

Heyy guys, sorry for the delay

Well this the fourth chapter, the fifth one will be comming soon so stayed tuned :)

Oh and dont forget to Vote :D

Meanings- Beta – Child

                 Gora- White

Another awkward dinner at home with my family. We basically don’t talk the whole time, but when we do, I don’t enjoy it at all. My dad talks about the same old stuff, Politics, school and worst of all marriage. My dad pauses and looks at me and Alia and says “Beta, there’s something I need to tell you both, something you all need to know which is very important.” Ah not again. Another deathly lecture. “Well as you all know that we are in a western society, there aren’t many people like us, I just want you all to stay the way you are, don’t change yourself for others.”

“Daddy, it’s only been a month, and you know us, we aren’t going to start drinking and taking drugs now” I say very annoyed.

“Maria, you don’t know how the world can pressure you to do things, I want you to concentrate in your studies and absolutely not on boys,” my Dad says with a serious glare.

“Dating and boyfriends are forbidden in Islam and if I ever find that you are doing anything you’re not supposed to, I’ll send you back to Pakistan,” my mom says with a glare.

“Mommy I understand that, I know my moral values and everything but like what’s wrong with having a guy friend? Since I’m in co-education, I’m bound to have them as friends.

“I prefer you don’t, all I know that all the boys are the same and want the same thing is girls so you better stay away” my mom says in a pissed off way.

“That’s so unfair; this isn’t the 18th century where all guys are perverts!” Alia yells.

“Don’t yell! Stop with the whole Gora attitude! You are a Pakistani Muslim girl! Start acting like it!” my dad yells back.

“How can I forget, you both remind me every day.” I say with a disappointed look and I walk out of the dining room.

This is why I hate family dinners. Well before in Dubai it was so nice. I usually always get along with my family but since we got here, it’s so different. They are always stressed out and cranky all the time. It’s really starting to annoy me. I don’t know why I felt like I could be open with my family with Max, not because he’s my boyfriend or anything it’s just I want to be comfortable when I have to go out or explain myself without hiding every single thing I do. Oh shit that reminds me. Mona. What am I going to do? It’s so hard to bring someone together especially if you secretly like the person. I hope he doesn’t like me. It would make things much easier. There’s a Black and White Masquerade Dance on Friday. Maybe I can come up with something by then. Crap this is so damn hard.

“So are you going to the dance on Friday?” Max asks me while I take out my Chemistry book out of my locker. I just think to myself. Should I say yes or no?

“Umm, dances aren’t my type of thing plus my parents are not too fond of it” I say avoiding eye contact.

“Oh are you sure? Because I heard this year it’s going to be sick”

“Maybe, I’ll think about it. Hey! Here’s a crazy idea, ask Mona to the dance!”

He made a surprised disappointing look “M-m-mona? Hahaha yeah right.”

“Why not? You could turn your friendship into something for special” I say with a wink trying to hide what I’m feeling.

“No, I can’t do that, I don’t want to ruin our friendship, I don’t have feelings for her like that….i have it for someone else” he then looks at me with those gorgeous green eyes. It felt like he was looking into my soul. I just froze and was trying my best to think of how to change the subject.

“Oh look! My shoes untied.” I say, and bend down to tie my shoelace which is already tied. I hope he didn’t notice.

“Okay well, Maria I’ll catch you later” he smiles and walks away.

“Bye” I say while I still look on the ground.

I’m such a failure. My shoes untied. Really? I panic. WHY! I’m like the most unlucky person in the world. Poor Mona though, it sucks being rejected. I’m going to try again. This time it should better work.

I walk out of Chemistry and I run into Mona.

“Hey girl, what’s happenin?”

“Umm not much really.”

“Oh are you going to the dance?”

“ Ah um I don’t think so.”

“ Why not? You need to be there to be my wingman, or wingwoman.” She says while laughing

“Hahaha what do you mean?”

“Well you said you would help me with Max, so I need your support.”

“ Right.” I say with a broken smile.

“ Well I was thinking of asking him, but that would be too random right?”

“Yeah, don’t do that, you don’t know if he has feelings for you.”

“You’re absolutely right, I should try to find out where he stands and I can get an idea.” She says with a squeal of excitement.

I’m obviously not thrilled about this so I give a fake smile.

“Oh look here he comes! Wish me luck!” and she runs off.

Sometimes I feel like she’s taking me for granted. She’s not even realizing what a huge sacrifice I’m doing for her. It would be nice to show a little sympathy. It’s like she doesn’t really care how I feel.  Whatever. It’s too late, I can’t go back now.