"Are you lesbian, Destiny?"

My fingers tightened around the rail. "I. . ."

"You don't know," she said.

"I don't know a lot of things." My throat was sore as I swallowed. Suddenly, the reddish leaves didn't look immaculate anymore. They were like blood, pooling on the ground. I felt strangled. "Help me," I murmured. "I don't know what to do."

Woody shook her head sadly. "I can't help you. I'm sorry."

She was being real again. I wish she wasn't. Maybe this time I needed a lie.

"I can't tell you what you are," she went on. "None of us can. That's your job."

A folded piece of paper was slipped on my notebook by the end of lunch. The handwriting was cursive and looked elegant enough to be sent to the Queen of England. The message made me slump on my seat.

'Meet-up at the creek exactly an hour after school. I've made the necessary arrangements so all of us can go. The coach and our parents are informed. There's no excuse. Do not test me.' – Ester.

To my left, Spencer was holding a similar-looking piece of paper. Without scrutinizing it, I knew what message it brought. Both of our groans were drowned by the arrival of our classmates.

I've said from the very beginning that there were no falls in Bear Creek Falls, and there were definitely no bears. But I left something out. There was a creek. A big pool that was warm even in fall season. The last time we went was years ago.

I was glad that the creek was situated on the other side of the woods, or I wouldn't go at all. Ester also had to thank her lucky stars that she was too smart for her own good. The four of us wouldn't have met there otherwise.

"What's this for, sis?" Spencer asked. His gym bag was dumped on the grass beside him. They were already there when I arrived, including Genesis. None of us made eye contact.

Ester had also brought a bag of her own. In fact, all of us did. She smiled upon seeing our backpacks and duffels, and crossed her arms. "I'm glad you got my supplementary text about the clothes. If none of you are wearing bathing suits under your outfit, there's more than one bush where you can hide and change." She nudged her head on the trees. "Any takers?"

Since no one remarked on it, Ester clapped her hands. "Well done. Please follow me to the water."

Big boulders surrounded the pool of water itself, most of them slippery. I balanced myself while going down, but one of the rocks made me slide.

"I got you!" Spencer's grip was nice and firm on my arm. I jerked backward and collided with Genesis.

"What's going on?" she said.

"Nothing," Spencer explained. "She almost fell and. . ."

"You grabbed me!" I accused.

"Yes, because you were about to fall over!" His voice was higher than he must have wanted. His face was reddening. "I'm sorry," he blurted.

Genesis stepped forward. "Stay away from her."

Spencer was bewildered as he stared at me. "I didn't mean it. Destiny, I've been trying to talk to you."

I covered my ears. "I don't want to hear your explanations."

"She doesn't want that," Genesis added.

"How do you know what I want?!" I panicked.

"Because we—"

A shrill whistle blew, ending the chaos that was our group. Ester returned by our side, whistle in hand, lips pursed as she gazed at us one by one. "I said to follow me in the water, didn't I? That means you will follow me to the water right now, or I will call our parents and force you to tell them what's wrong. Do I make myself clear?"