"Shit!" I muttered, then looked at Ester. "Listen, it's nice that we had this talk, but I really need to go. The nurse is supposed to meet me."

"The nurse?" She cocked an eyebrow.

"Yup." I released her shoulders. "I'm having issues. Catch you later."

I sprinted before she could do anything. Spencer's yells followed my footsteps. On the end of the hallway where the intersection for the other corridors met, I caught someone else standing there, watching me. My heart bled as I avoided her eyes and turned left. Genesis' face was still embedded in my mind long after I've reached my destination.

Woody and I met on the third-floor fire exit. No one was allowed there, but sometimes the door was left open and students would sneak out to get some air. They shouldn't even lock it in the first place. What if there was a real fire?

"So?" Woody said, sitting on the stairs. "Why did you want to meet again?"

I leaned on the rail and stared ahead. The red-brown leaves scattered all over the school grounds were immaculate. They made me want to go to the Ruins. But I haven't been there in a while. Not when I had to pass the edge of the forest first, and that was giving me nightmares.

"I wanted to continue our conversation," I said. My voice sounded flat to my ears. How could Woody stand to talk to me? "Is. . . Is it okay though? Top and Shorty might suspect something."

Woody folded the sleeves of her flannel and nodded. "It's perfectly fine. But are you?" Her head tilted to me. "Fine, I mean?"

A woosh of air passed my lips as I glanced downwards to her. She was sitting on one of the lower steps, looking up to me. I was grateful and ashamed for having her here, but I had no one else to talk to.

"I'm fine," I lied.

"You don't look it."

"I'm fine!"

"Okay." She raised both hands in a conciliatory gesture. "I get it. So what brought us here?"

I took another deep breath before gazing at the school grounds again. The view out there was so much better.

"What do you think about girls liking girls?"

"It's cute."

"No, I mean. . ."

"You mean lesbians?" she asked.

My fingers were numb as I nodded.

"Why are you asking this?"

"Just cause."

"And do you think I'm the right one to answer it?" she said.

My eyes met hers. "You're the closest thing I have to a friend right now. I'll take whatever you can give."

Woody sighed and hugged her knees. Of the trio in the wood club, she was the one I could tell these things to without being judged. Top would probably be a good listener as well, but Shorty was always around her. I didn't want Shorty involved.

"You're a strange kid, Destiny Jones."

"Why do people always say my complete name?" I asked.

"Because it's pretty. Like you." Her eyes twinkled when she smiled.

One of the things I liked about Woody was her sincerity. Shorty might have teased her for always holding back, but when she didn't, Woody was real. I needed real right now. That was why we were here.

"What I think about lesbians doesn't matter," Woody continued. "What you think is the one that counts."

"But I don't really understand th—"