"Bravo! Great performance," he sarcastically called from his perch, "You may leave now. Take him with you."

I had thought he was speaking to me but as I lifted myself up and gained back the ability to breathe, I saw the almost naked woman cross the floor and unchain the sagged man. She helped him walk unseeing out of the alcove. Once left alone with Dimitri, the fact that I had just fed on someone's blood, pain, and pleasure just hung between us.

"That was new," he commented as I tried to figure out something else to say so that we could just move past it.

I cleared my throat, "Yeah, I'm not sure what just happened. Anyways, I came tonight to talk to you about the pictures for the database."

He looked amused at my attempt to change the subject but he didn't comment on it. Instead he played along with me. "I've told you before, we won't be taking pictures for your silly database. I'll settle for paintings though. Unfortunately that will take longer since my flock reaches above 200 individuals. It takes sometimes days for an artist to complete a comission, sometimes longer."

I sat down on the couch but put enough room between myself and his upper nudity. There was dim lighting in the room to set a more sensual mood, one that I could do without.

"What if we had a painter comissioned from among the Mage's or witches? They could take an impression picture and input it into the database immediately. No bright lights but you would have to allow the person to get close enough to your people."

"Where would you have me bring my people to be moved around as circus performers. You and I both know the Vampires in this city are often looked on with distrust and disgust among the Mages. Surely you understand, having grown up around them. Your childhood was possibly quite literally hell."

"We're not talking about my childhood," I snapped and then realized my outburst so I reigned it back in. "If you'd like we could do groups at a time. You could even be there overlooking the whole proceedings. I'll have Cole do it since he's the least likely to make any of your people uncomfortable. He's also the most relaxed around vampires among the members of my Coven."

"I will take this into consideration. My people are less likely to want to cooperate than Cane's people," he commented as his hand trailed across the back of the couch he lounged on.

I sat up a bit straighter as I realized how close we were sitting on the couch.

"I'm also here for another reason," I began and cleared my throat, "I've been doing research on my problem that cropped up after our little ShadowMancer. Anyways, everything I've found that has to do with it seems to be written in a language I've never seen before. But there was translations made through Old Norse. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who speaks it and was wondering if you happen to have a vampire who does."

Dimitri's eyes had slowly begun to fill with mild amusement until it reached full blown amusement the more I talked.

"When you find your translator, how will you pay for their services?"

My eyes must've given myself away because he laughed his rich meodious laugh as I continued to stare him down.

"Merely curious, Sloane. You surely don't expect a Vampire to help you from the goodness of their heart."

"I haven't thought that far. I'd have to negotiate I suppose. You still haven't answered my question about whether you know anyone, so the whole thing is moot anyways."

He stretched his arms wide and a big smile graced his face, it nearly reached his eyes. Watching a master vampire's eyes fill with an almost perceptible warmth was never on my to do list. I could only imagine the reasons why a master vampire would be that happy and it creeped me out.

"I don't understand," I replied to his weird show of whatever.

He gave a frustrated noise. "I'm the only Vampire in this city old enough to know Old Norse. Unless you want to go to the Mage's with your questions."

So my options were either Dimitri or Dimitri, considering the Mage's were out of question. My scrolls had come from the offlimits section in the library and there was no way that I'd escape punishment. Last time I was punished it involved two gloves, no magic, a Kelpie, and a lot of poop. It wasn't high on my to do list to get punished again. Kelpie poop smelt like something that died and I had to stay on site for a whole month.

"What do you want in return for your services? We both know you won't help me out of the goodness of your heart. If you have one," I mumbled the last part. His smile never diminished so I figured he didn't mind my snark.

"I'll have to think about it. Give me one favor of my choosing."

One favor could mean a lot of things and covered everything left to the imagination so I had to put down a few rules.

"Noone drinks my blood, no sex, rape, or abuse and you'll have a deal. Otherwise I'll try my luck with someone else."

We both stared at one another and the tension in the room began to thicken to the point that I was having trouble drawing in a breath. Of course I could've forgone breathing like the Vampire across from me did but I liked to appear more human than not. After what felt like forever Dimitri finally shuttered his eyes and sank into the couch more than he was previously.

"Fine. But do you really want me to read what's written in that paperwork, here? In this club? Why don't we schedule a meeting at your house and we can go over it," his eyes remained closed as he spoke but I could hear a hint of laughter in his speech.

"Nice try but it's not going to happen. We can meet at a restaurant or one of your other business'. Just give me a call with a place and time, I'll be there."

I got up before he could confirm or not but given the fact that he was promised a favor from me, I was sure he would accept the condtions laid out. Before I exited the room I turned back to look at Dimitri. His eyes were open and staring straight at me with a sultry look that I didn't much care for. A shudder ran through me before I made my way to the exit. Rain still poured down in sheets from the sky as I got into my car and began to head home. Fingers crossed that my brother and Cece were gettiing along since I left them home alone.