...lost track of him

I walked a bit around the area with my phone as my falshlight before going the area where I heard some noise. It seemed like the canals were opened. You know, those grilled things they have in the market where their drainage goes? Yeah, that one.

I silently creeped behind him and--

" Kia-"
"PRINCESS?!!" He blurted out in shock and I immediately covered my nose.

" What are you doing here???" He asked confused and I pointed at the canal which gave off this horrible stench.

" What are you even doing--"

" NO! GET AWAY! GO HOME ALREADY!" I was shocked by his sudden impulse to shoo me away

" why? I'm not even doing anything--"

"JUST LEAVE PLEEEEAAASE?" He said in a strict yet pleading tone. I frowned before coming up to him

" no! What are you even doing? Don't tell me you're---"

"NO NO NO NO!! DON'T COME NEAR HERE! JUST GO HOME NOOOW!!"

I clenched my fist as I got anxious at what it is that he's hiding" NO! KIAN! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" I shouted as I tried to see what he was hiding but he held me back.

" LET ME SEE!"

" NO!"

"KIAN, STOP IT!"

"NO!! I'LL GET IN TROUBLE!!"

" WHAT?!! YOU MORON, DON'T YOU DARE DO DRUGS!!" I shouted and finally made my way through and flashed my light on what he was hiding.

To my suprise, nothing was there. Just an opened sewage drain and I looked at him dumbfounded.

" ...is this what you were trying so hard to hide?"

He sighed as he bent down, took the plastic bag and I saw him put his hand down the sewage as he grabbed the waste and placed it in the plastic bag.

" holy--what the duck are you doing?!" I asked disgusted by his act. Ugh, what is he thinking of doing now??

He didn't reply as he kept doing what he did earlier, until the plastic bag was full.

Ugh, I think I'm gonna throw up.

He kept doing this until there wasn't any waste left in the sewage, giving a total of 3 plastic bags filled with waste.

He still didn't talk to me and went outside the market. I followed him as he went somewhere that had a faucet in it, and he washed his hands, then went to a nearby sewage. He fished out of his pocket a net like thing and spread it across the sewage box. He then took a plastic bag filled with waste and poured it on the net, as he searched within the disgusting waste.

I silently looked at him doing this weird thing, until he suddenly set aside something on the ground, then another one, and another, and another. This went on and on until he finished the last bag, now holding a net filled with those things he set aside. He then walked back to the faucet and washed the net with water, revealing the things inside the net..

..coins

My eyes widened in shock as I saw how much coins he was able to retrieve from the sewage waste.

He sighed as he shaked the net and examining it carefully " It got dirty.. but money's still money, right?" He said, giving off a rectangular smile as I felt myself a bit embarrassed.

" I need to pay off Theodore's hospital bill, but now he has these medicines and other needs that I can't afford so i have to work triple time...
I got 3 part time jobs now, but 1 is pending, and I discovered how much money goes down the drain in the wet market, so I'm paid to clean up the clogged waste in the sewage and get to keep these extra money I found in it"