Chapter 3 - Power isnt everything

Start from the beginning

All through the day as I went to lessons I thought about nothing but Winter and how I had let her down. She must hate me right now. Last night I ran off after being invited to dinner and now I do this to her!

It scared me last night when she said her whole family were going to be there. I wasn’t ready to meet all of them, let alone her Mum who was as nice as could be. These were the moments I most hated myself. The lowest moments of my existence.

“Focus Caspian.” I heard a voice say a second before I was thrown across the room. I landed with a grunt against the mat covered wall. “What’s going on son? I know it’s only your first day but you seem distracted.” Maverick Mangalow stood across the room with a friendly but concerned expression.

Should I confide in him? Winter was his daughter after all. I threw the idea around in my head for a while as I paced back over to him. I just didn’t know what to say. I felt like the biggest jerk and I had hurt his daughter deeply.

“I get the feeling this may have something to do with Winter?” Maverick asked and though I found it hard, I forced myself to nod. How could I ever tell this man that I could never stand up for myself? “You should come over and talk to her this afternoon when school is done.” He said simply as he patted my shoulder and all I could do was nod dumbly again.

“Thanks I might just do that.” I told him quietly.

“Excellent! Now you need to focus and come at me with everything you’ve got.” His voice went back into teaching mode and this time I felt more than ready.

Exhaustion flooded me by the end of the day. Maverick as he told me to call him did not go easy on me at all. He went through the same tests as when we were at enrolment and then some. He said he would start teaching me control once he established the full extent of my powers.

I went back to my dorm and showered as I debated whether to go and see Winter. What do I tell her? Sorry I’m a gigantic wuss when it comes to standing up for myself or others around me.

Saving someone’s life was the easiest thing in the world to do. It all occurred with adrenaline coursing through your system to sustain you. That’s what happened with the bus crash. The decision is so black and white.

Real life in comparison was the deepest, darkest shades of grey. Real life though was what you always had to live with, what you always came back to whether you liked it or not. I had always been so afraid of making a step in the wrong direction that I let others decide for me. I had done it my whole life and obviously continued to do it. That was proven by how I had treated Winter today.

I dared to glance across to her room only to find her curtains pulled tight. For some reason that made me feel much worse. She was hiding away, whether from me or the world I wasn’t too sure. Cole, Quill and the other kids had been so mean to her today.

All the while I just stood there and said nothing. I was the biggest jerk! I was worse than what those other kids were though. I had seen the true Winter shine through and she was more wonderful than words could express and yet I couldn’t bring myself to help her.