VII

Tyler opened his eyes. It was dawn and the sun was just beginning to rise. He got out of bed carefully, trying not to wake his girlfriend up. She was snoring softly and her mouth was wide open with a little drool on the side of her mouth and he thought she was beautiful.

Tyler tip-toed out of the bedroom and went downstairs to the kitchen. He began to bake something in the dim light. When he finally put the cake into the oven, the kitchen-counter was a huge mess. He didn't really know his way around any food that needed more than a trip in the micro-wave, but he tried to make an effort, this time. For her.

A couple of hours later, Lucy opened an eye and tried to get out of bed. She was feeling a little dizzy when she brushed her teeth and tied her hair up high in a messy bun. She looked at the empty bed and wondered what was happening. He never woke up before her...

She walked down the hall, yawning. She was still sleepy, but she wanted to eat, and she made her way to the kitchen. When she opened the door, she surprised Tyler sitting on the couch, lighting a candle and he turned around, his eyebrows raised.

"Woah, you scared me!" he said. Lucy couldn't speak. She looked at the room covered in cute I love you banners, roses and red balloons. A cake's smell was floating around in the apartment, pancakes were on the counter and a gift box was next to it. Tyler ran to her and scratched his neck. "I hope you like it. Happy anniversary."

Lucy hugged him and kissed him with passion.

"Oh my, Tyler, I love you so much." she replied. "I really was not expecting this."

She walked to the counter and looked at the pancakes. They weren't beautiful, they looked a little messy, but there was an inscription on top, written in maple syrup.

As it might appear, we just hit ONE YEAR

Lucy blushed and giggled. She turned her head to Tyler and told him he was cute and should start a career in poetry. He showed her the gift.

"Open it."

She did. Inside the yellow box, there was a camera.

"It's for our future memories. So that we never forget them." he stated.

They sat down and ate the pancakes, kissing and chuckling between every bite. As Tyler took a film of his love, someone knocked on the door loudly.

"Who could it be?" asked Tyler.

"I'll check."

Lucy got out of the table and, still in pajamas, walked to the door. She opened.

"New York City Police Department. Are you Mrs. Lucy Cannon?" said a tall, dark-skinned man in a police uniform. Lucy's heart began to beat fast.

"Yes." she stuttered. "Why?" she asked, trying to act natural.

"You are under arrest for the murder of Jason Neil Adams. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you?" said the police officer as another one, a shorter bald man reached to her and handcuffed her.

Lucy's mind went blank. She didn't hear anything the policemen said and the only thing she could think about was the night at the club. Why did she go? She must've confessed to someone else. Why did she drink? What did she expect? That keeping a secret this heavy would be a piece of cake? She thought she was delusional and pathetic. She wanted to throw up.

"What's taking you so long?" shouted Tyler from the kitchen. He came to the door, still filming and stood on the porch, in shock as he looked at his girlfriend being led to a police car, hands tied. The last thing on the camera was the officer's serious glare looking right through the lens, and Tyler put the camera down.

A lady officer approached him.

"Mister, please step aside as we have a warrant to search your home." she said and pushed him out of the way, ordering her backup to get in.

Lucy avoided Tyler's confused glare and looked down, ashamed, as she was tossed into the white and blue car. She remembered something Noa used to say to her when she'd eat the last pizza slice and would try to get away with it: "Remember, Lucy, three things cannot long be hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth. And I'm not the one saying it, it's actually Buddha's quote." This was a lot worse than pizza slices, but guess it was all bound to come up someday.