I tried to avoid my father's creepy proud dad glances as I start preparing the chicken stew I'm making for him. I have no idea if Christopher will even get any. As I finished all of my mise en place I realized I have no clue on how to turn on or use any of this vintage equipment. "Daddy may you help me please?" I call out trying my best to sound younger than I was.

Nodding, he ran over. He wrapped his arms around my slender body tightly, leaving me unable to inch away. "Baby of course. Good job following Daddy's rules little girl, Daddy's proud of you. What do you need help with?" Why was he suddenly so kind and warm? Normally if I asked him for help I would be whooped with his paddle until I bled. Now, as he takes over control in the kitchen I wonder what on earth is going on. I'm probably asleep on the couch upstairs; this is definitely all a dream.

"Muffin, can you pass me that spoon next to you?" He asked quietly as he turned off the stove.

"W-what?" I stammered, I'm so mesmerized by the waltz that is his cooking that I zoned out whatever it is he asked me.

He cooed at me, shaking his head as if he were talking to a much younger child. "The spoon, muffin. Pass me the spoon."

I blushed, staring down at my size six and a half feet and my perfectly painted blush pink toenails. Why is he treating me like a little girl when he is (or at least should be) well aware that I am fifteen years old? I handed him the spoon gingerly and he took it and then kissed my hand after. "Sweetie, thanks so much for starting a marvelous dinner and not being too proud to ask for help. Unlike upstairs, you won't be a free roaming sassy whore. It's much appreciated how well you're adjusting. Go set the table and then just wait." He instructed.

"Daddy, where are the table setting things? You know like the forks, the napkins, and such." I called over the counter as I rummaged through cabinet after cabinet.

"My bad muffin, sorry. They're over on the table already. I just need you to place three spots." He apologized, clearly feeling at least a little bad. If this were upstairs and not in my basement I might think this was rather nice. But that was not the case in the slightest.

As I set the table I made my first mistake: I thought of every I would miss now that I couldn't see the outside world. I would miss running outside in the morning when my dad left; he didn't approve of young ladies making a spectacle of themselves outside without a man to keep them in line. I would miss school as crazy as it sounded. I loved learning as much as I could while I could because I knew university was not an option for me. My father was a traditionalist; he didn't believe in women being anything else but someone to look after the family while the man of the house won the bread. Most of all, I would miss freedom (what little I had of it.) Being able to leave when I wanted, have adventures in the outside world, and making my own choices were all taken away from me.

When I was done, I sat in a little dark brown wooden chair at the table and swung my legs. I watched them cross each other, back, forth, front, and back again. I looked up only to watch my father walking over to the table with a tight grip on my fake brother's arm. I could see his emerald green eyes staring back into mine, as if he felt pity for me. Pity for the girl who trusted the man who took his life away, the girl who acted as if everything was normal. If only the boy knew how unstable her father was. Playing his game was how she stayed safe.

"Okay family, we will be starting a routine tonight. This routine will start with the dinner my lovely Angelina made with me. I will tell you what we will do as we do it. No complaints or anything of the sorts will be tolerated. Unless that is you like being paddled. Then go right ahead, right Angelina?" He looked at me directly, putting me on the spot.

"Yes Daddy." I mumbled. I feel so ashamed for listening to him as the boy continues to cast his glances at me.

He raised an eyebrow. "Angelina, we talk at a nice volume in this household."

"Y-yes Daddy. Sorry for mumbling, I didn't mean to disobey you."

Instead of melting at my stammering, he stays persistent. He is much more serious about this than I thought. "Work on it." He said coldly. No one else spoke throughout the rest of dinner. After grumbling something about how he would clean it up tonight he beckoned us away from the table. "Family, now I will show you to your room. I have restraints available for both of you so if you would like to sleep without them I would suggest doing what I say." We walked over to a door with two different locks on it. One needed a key and one was standard lock which you only needed to twist. How the hell was I going to get out of here?

In the small room were two twin sized beds, one was blue and the other lavender. All the walls in the entire basement were white and this room was no longer exception. White was a challenge to keep clean, my father always did like a challenge. A simple armoire rested against one of the walls. "Do you like it children?" He asked as he guided us to walk inside.

"It's lovely Daddy." I smiled, trying hard to seem genuine.

"I like it Father." The boy I was to call Christopher answered through gritted teeth.

"I'm so glad. Let me get you both something to sleep in. You need to hit the hay soon if we are going to wake up bright and early tomorrow." He shuffled through the armoire for a bit until he found something he approved of. "Christopher since you're older I trust you can dress yourself. Angelina might need help though." He acted so casual;this wasn't normal in the slightest. If I was five years old and my brother was seven then maybe it could be but that was ten years ago; we're grown now.

"Daddy I can do it, thank you." I dismissed him politely. Him seeing my naked body for the first time since I started puberty made me uneasy. He stepped closer, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Muffin, I know you're getting bigger but I know what's best for you. I can't have you being all sensual in front of your brother. I'm helping you be a good girl." He smiled kindly, he seemed so much like my mother when he did.

My mother was the world to me and brother before she left. She was gentle and graceful. She carried herself in a way in which it seemed you would have to climb Mount Everest to knock her down. She had great style yet she was modest for my father's sake. They loved each other for a very long time. But something changed one day, it was like someone blew out a flame which didn't even flicker. It just turned to smoke. As my father became more controlling and more unstable my mother found someone who could make her happy. I hadn't seen her in so long and now I might not ever see her again. His grin reminded me of when they were a stable couple, bringing a single tear to my eye.

I didn't protest any longer, sleep was a chance to escape from the nightmare I was living in. He caressed my body as he slowly slipped a baby pink high necked nightgown onto me. It was more elaborate then what I was used to wearing for sure. The collar, hem, and sleeves all had little ruffles on them and the buttons leading up to the neck served a purpose other than faux function. The satin fabric was the softest thing I'd ever owned. What a shame that when my father tries to lavish me I'm locked in a basement being forced to enjoy it.

"One more thing Angelina. Can you come to the corner we need to chat?" He guided me away from the boy I was to call Christopher. "So my beautiful daughter, you're probably wondering what is happening. Correct?"

"Yes, I am Daddy."

"The world was changing you Angelina. You were dressing more provocatively. You were being forced to grow up much too quickly. I had to save you while I could. As for your brother I will try my best I can to fix him, although he might be too far gone. I will give you a perfect life where you will be safe from men like what your brother was becoming. Come, I'll tuck you."

We walked over to the lavender bed as thoughts swirled around my mind. Dressing provocatively? Brother too far gone? What on earth did he even mean? "Night muffin. Sleep tight."

"Night Daddy." I drifted off into sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, allowing me to escape what was now my life for a little while.