Chapter 2

What in Salazar Slytherin's name was his father thinking. He'd gone and bloody well hired a completely loony girl that he'd teased in high school. Was his father insane as well?
At the time of Lucius's big reveal Draco hadn't been able to say anything. He was too shocked, and he could hardly complain about the girl right in front of her face. He didn't want her going off to the profit to tell her harrowing tale of how terrible the Malfoy's were, they would have to pay off the CEO again and it was getting too expensive.

Lucius had left him with her quite promptly, telling him that he was to take her through all of her responsibilities and where she was to work.
Draco had just looked at him confused and pleadingly, to this Lucius had just smirked the Malfoy smirk. Before he left he told his son "This is your last chance Draco, I mean it" and then he'd vanished off to deal with other business.
And so Draco had just been left with her alone. For a long moment he didn't move from his position of watching his father leave his office.
Luna hadn't said anything for a long time either. She just watched him and wondered what was wrong with him, but for a long time she didn't interrupt him, thinking obviously he was going through something and he might need some time.
But after it had been almost a minute of his just standing there with his back to her she thought she ought to go up to him. She put her small hand on his shoulder gently. "Draco, is everything alright?" she asked sweetly and softly as not to rattle him. It did anyway.
Draco jumped at the surprising touch and turned swiftly around to face her. She was rather short so he had to look down at her.
Up close he could see she didn't look exactly like she had in school. She'd grown more into her looks. In fact, one might even call her pretty if she wasn't wearing such ridiculous garb. She had rose pink lips and a peaches and cream complexion, very soft looking skin. Big blue eyes with long lashes. It was strange looking at her. Perhaps she hadn't actually changed that much and he just hadn't ever really looked at her, or seen her this up close. Either way the moment was a strange occurance.
Luna stepped back from him a little. "What?" Draco asked after being taken out of his musings about her appearance. He'd totally missed what she'd asked. "I just was asking if you were alright" she said looking concernedly at him. She looked as though she was about to come up to him and feel his forehead in case he had a temperature. She genuinely looked worried. Obviously he looked confused and standing there for so long, he could now see, may have come off as a little odd. Fancy that, a re-meeting with Loony Lovegood and Draco was the one who was coming off as weird.
"Can I get you a cold glass of water? do you need to sit down?" she asked coming up closer to him again, and looking more into his eyes as if that would somehow alert her to sickness.
"No, I'm fine" Draco said abruptly coming back to his senses and brushing past her and into his office chair. He was going to assert his point of right. If she really was going to be working for him she'd need a lot of training and an understanding that he wasn't going to baby her.
He leaned his elbows on the desk in front of him and put his hands together leaning forward menacingly.
Luna didn't look affected, she just turned to his new position and smiled dreamily.
"Sit" Draco said in an assertive manner.
Luna did as she was told, sitting in the much lower seat in front of him and his desk.
When designing his office he had made plans for his chair to be higher than the others in the room. It was a psychological trick to make him seem above the people coming into the office for any trade deals or what not.
Again this didn't seem to ruffle Lovegood. She simply sat and brushed her delicate hands over her garment to smooth them of any wrinkles and then looked back up at him smiling.
"If you are actually going to work for me, there are rules that you have to know" Draco said having decided that he was taking control of this situation. "Of course" Luna said in her melodic tone, not the sort of serious and possibly frightened tone Draco was hoping for.
"Right, so one, you'll come into work before me every day at 7am" he said watching her reaction. She just nodded. "Two, you are to have my coffee on my desk by the time I arrive at 8am sharp, trust me you do not want to mess this up" again she nodded. "Three, Any and all trade deals are left to me. I don't want to hear your ideas or any stupid thoughts you have about it. You are an assistant not a sales person" he said clearly. At this Draco felt he may have seen something shift beneath the glassy eyes of the girl but her countenance never changed, she remained smiling. "Four, no friends... or boyfriends allowed in the office" he said this rule being particularly prominent in his psyche. "Of course not" Luna said as if this seemed obvious. He liked that. "And Five, before doing anything of consequence you are to ask me first" he said pointing towards himself. She nodded again.
He wanted to come up with more rules to further intimidate her but for some reason he couldn't think of any, so instead he said "you got that?" in a decisive tone.
"Yes Draco" Luna said smiling and nodding her head. Draco looked a bit taken aback at hearing his name uttered from her mouth. "You are to call me sir" Draco said trying to distance any past relationship they may have had... even if the only relationship they'd had was that they'd gone to school together and sometimes he'd called her names. Luna didn't look too happy at this one, but she did nod her head in agreement. "Ok, well good" Draco said getting up from his seat. "Come on then I'll show you your desk and your tasks" he said walking towards the door without a glance back to see if she was following.