Life After Dark: 7 (WTW Sequel)

(Updated every Sunday by 6pm EST. Thanks for the support!)

We find a beautiful French chateau manor on the edge of town and convince its owners to let us stay there. A young husband and wife duo, no kids and a couple of servants. We caught the two pulling into their attached garage before Willow and Janie pounced on them.

The team barely bats an eyelash at the fact that we're compelling people against their will to give up their home for us. "It's for a good cause," Willow tells me when she catches the unease on my face after she brainwashed the rich couple in their spacious garage. "They'll thank us after we save the world from Blanks."

"Can we also say that taking one of their cars is for a good cause?" Pablo says as he circles one of the handful of luxury cars, running his hand over its sleek black surface. His eyes are hungry. "You know, in case we ever need to outrun someone."

Marcus watches him and then grins slowly. "Sure. Why the hell not?"

"Marcus!" Willow protests. "It's one thing to take money, but a luxury car?"

"It's not like they're going to miss it. Look at him."

He steps up to the husband, who is practically drooling thanks to Janie's mesmerism. The man is dressed in a fitted black suit and shoes that are polished to a shine. His black hair is carefully slicked back in a way that reminds me of Sam, but at the same time, there's this softness about him that was never there in my stepfather.

"I bet he was born with a silver spoon in his cocky mouth," Marcus says, staring down the dazed man from his height. "He's used to getting everything he wants. He's spent his whole life stepping all over the little people because it makes him feel like a man. You know what, Will? I don't feel bad for him. We'll take what we need."

Jones and Pablo grin in answer. Even Janie is smirking like she agrees with him, and Willow looks resigned now, like she's used to giving in. Marcus turns away from the man and walks into the rest of the house. We follow after him, even the husband and wife, who haven't uttered a word since they threatened the cops on us.

I trudge along quietly, still off-balance after what went down at the restaurant. I know my opinions are unwelcome in this group, but I can't help the prickles of unease. Is this normal for us? This Robin Hood act of stealing from the rich—except we take the wealth for ourselves and use it to finance our excursions across the country? How do I fit into that? I can't imagine being on board with us being criminals.

Says the killer surrounded by other killers.

The rest of the house is just as impressive. The first floor is mostly concrete and imported marble, but the second is all red wood framing and bay windows that give a scenic view of the tree lined landscape. The furniture is antique and the paintings on the walls look like they could pay for my college tuition. We find six bedrooms in total, including the red-themed master bedroom, and bathrooms with luxurious showers that make my bones ache with longing.

Once the servants are unwittingly recruited like their employers, Pablo and his friends go in search of treasures. I tail Willow as she wanders around one of the furnished guest rooms, waiting until we're relatively alone before saying, "Can we talk?"

Her hand freezes on the closet door just as she was about to pull it open. "Sure."

I can see her trying to make herself taller, stronger, but there's also a tremoring thread running through her that hints at her nervous state.

For the first time since I woke up, I take her in completely. She has on dark pants and a long coat, and her fluffy white-blond hair is half-concealed beneath a black knit cap. Her cheeks are pink from the cold, and her hazel eyes border on golden today.