She nodded, "can I get a ride into town with you? I'm meeting a colleague for lunch."

"Of course."

Half an hour later they'd got back to the house and he'd changed into another suit. In his large Audi saloon, she sat beside him as the hourly news told them of chaos in various parts of the world.

"So we're seeing my parents again tonight, me and Nate. You haven't forgotten?" She shook her head as he added, "so we'll go out to the Trafford Centre maybe, hang out, get some food."

She looked at her hands; she'd pushed his parents away, not wanting to get involved with them. But he had been so understanding, and so had they. She had to start opening out up things.

"Bring them over for dinner, we can eat, they can play..."

He turned to stare at her, luckily they were at a traffic light or who knew where the car would end up.

"What?"

She smiled, "I'm not that unreasonable. You have to know that."

He gave a shrug as he pushed the car into gear, and then accelerated towards the city centre.

"I just wasn't expecting you to change your mind."

She twiddled her thumbs, "and I didn't expect you to want me to change back!"

Rolling his eyes, he reached out to squeeze her thigh, "aren't I allowed to express my surprise."

"I should scowl for that."

He was still laughing when he swung the car into a parking garage. Jumping out, he was quick to come around and open her door, and then he swooped to kiss her deeply.

She reciprocated, whole heartedly.

Finally parting, he held her at arm's length, "you're ok to get back on your own...for Nate."

She nodded, then reached up to give him a more chaste kiss, "see you later."

Lizzie had no agenda really, there was no one from work meeting for lunch, but she wanted a change of scenery. Now she had a meal to prepare, and was in completely the wrong place...but he was taking her out the following day. And that deserved a new outfit that she could ill afford. But then she was going back to work the following week, and that would help.

Despite her need, she found nothing that she liked, so she headed home a lot later than planned, empty handed.

She then spent the next hour preparing dinner suitable for the first proper meeting with her nephew's grandparents, and her lover's parents. That was no mean feat, and she changed her mind several times before she went for Nate's favourite, a sausage casserole. She even went as far as to make her own bread to go with it.

It was simmering in the oven as the bread primed, when the front door open, and Nate skipped in like a Bisto kid.

"Mmmmmm, what's for dinner?"

She bent to catch him as he hurtled towards her, and then lifted him into her arms, "sausage casserole!"

His grin was infectious as he smiled, "my favourite!"

She nodded, "I know, that's why I made it." In response he whooped, burying his face into her neck. Laughing she looked up to see Oscar stood watching them from across the room, a wistful expression on his face. Before he could speak his parents appeared either side of him, both smiling.