17 - Shadow

Tara is already smiling at her brother before I can comprehend what just happened.

She's alive. Tara is alive.

The transfusion worked. I honestly don't know how long we have been down here, maybe two, three hours, but I do know that we saved her.

I wake out of my thoughts and turn to a happy, but still uneasy Tara. She needs to take it slow right now.

"Tara, how do you feel?" Malachi asks the young girl, dumbfounded that she even survived.

She smiles wider, her voice weak but gaining volume. "Better. Everything is clearer."

She is showing signs of a Protector with their heightened senses and strength.

"Would you like to come and rest in the lab for a bit? We can keep you there to recover," He asks, already knowing Malachi won't make it an option.

She nods, and I carefully remove the needle from her skin and cover the wound with gauze and tape.

"Alright, let's go," I say simply, following Malachi's lead. A grin rises to Tara's lips.

"Carry me, Batman," She mumbles to Harry, her eyes slightly closed in a dream-like state.

Harry chuckles softly, his tears now dried on his cheeks. "Okay, Robin."

All of us head up to the lab, Harry and Tara walking ahead. When we make it up to the floor, it hits me that this is really happening. Tara is here, Harry is here, and Caleb is still here.

"Can we set her in your room, Serena?" Harry asks me.

Those were the very words I hoped he wouldn't say. I silently pray Caleb is somewhere... anywhere... away from my room.

"Um.. sure," I say hesitantly, walking swiftly to my door.

Finally, I open the door and see no sign of my Protector. Thank god.

Harry goes straight to my bed and sets Tara down gently, telling her that it will be a little while before she can rest in her own bed. She nods and closes her eyes, allowing weakness and sleep to overtake her. It isn't long before she's knocked out again.

Harry and I sit carefully on the edge of my bed, quiet and afraid to speak first.

"Thank you for what you did," Harry says in a hushed voice. His eyes are focused on the concrete floor, away from me.

I shrug, looking to the wall on the other side of the room. "I'm glad I could help. It was all Malachi, though."

Harry shakes his head in disbelief. "No, no... you don't understand. You don't understand the complexity of what you just did. You saved my sister, and that's something I will never stop thanking you for."

I'm a little shocked at what is coming from Harry's mouth. This sincerity he is showing me and kindness he is directing towards me is overwhelming, but when I share moments with him like this, it's clear as crystal.

The fluttering. The butterflies.

"Harry, I-I really don't know what to say..." I respond shyly. It's true, I don't know what to say.

He smiles to me, his eyes full of joy. "It's okay, Serena. I can do all the talking."

He then becomes serious once more. "Before you say another word, let me get this out."

I direct all my attention to him. What does Harry have to admit?

He rubs his palms together in contemplation and preparation for whatever it is he is about to tell me.