chapter eleven

Beginne am Anfang

"Sophia!" He sang, making his way to me. I gave a grin in response as he arrived, "Hi Jonathan." He went in for a hug, which I never received from him before even within the five years I had known him, and I wrapped my arms around him in return. "Oh, I'm so glad to see you. Penny is going to be thrilled," he confessed as he pulled away.

I looked up into his light hazel eyes, "I'm glad to be here." I felt the fur of Sydney's golden coat rub up around my leg, reminding me I had guests of my own. "Oh, uh, here's my plus one. This is Cooper," I motioned toward Cooper's tall figure, which stood a little to the left of Jonathan's, "And his fluffy companion Sydney," I swirled the fur on top of Sydney's head. Jonathan was obviously muddled once he met Cooper's smiling face, probably not expecting to his black sunglasses. It took him a couple second to shake Cooper's hand.

"It's great to see you, Sophia," Jonathan continued after exchanging a couple words with Cooper, "I'm assuming you didn't get Penny's text? If you did, I would have expected you to be here about half an hour ago."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, not knowing what text message he was referring to. I hadn't texted Penny since I let her know I was bringing Cooper and even then I didn't get a response. "What are you talking about, Jonathan?" I asked.

As he opened his mouth to respond, my ear sensed another voice I had been accustomed to, my mother's.

I didn't actually prepare myself for this moment, talking to my parents. I didn't plan out the amazing but fake script I was to perform for them, about how everything in Carins was going great and how my art work was progressing wonderfully and apologize for not speaking to them because I was so busy. I didn't think about trying to impress my parents and convince them I was better without them breathing down my neck.

But then, I realized I didn't have to.

Carins was great to me and my art work was progressing, I was painting every other night and selling every other day and I was not going to apologize for not contacting them on a regular basis because I was having a good fucking time not talking to them. I was living my life the way I wanted to from the very beginning: a perfect ocean view from my apartment, a schedule dedicated to my art work, a decent paying job and a blonde best friend, a stubborn scruffy bloke and a blind boy to stand by me the whole way.

So I took a deep breath and turned to face my parents.

There they stood, looking as sophisticated as ever. My mother pulled her light blonde hair back into a braided bun and light pink lipstick coated her plump lips. She wore a white blouse around her torso and tucked it into her baby pink pencil skirt. Her small feet slipped into a pair of cream colored flats and a light blue clutch set snug under her arm. Next to her was my father, towering over her. He wore his dark hair slicked back, his big cheeks freshly shaved. He wore a classic tuxedo with a pastel pink bowtie and a matching vest to go with it.

I made contact with my mother and her disapproving eyes I thought I had once forgotten were right in my sight. "Hello, Sophia," she spoke softly, not even going in for a hug. "Hi, mom," I responded, a bit peppier in attempt to make the conversation not as daunting.

"Hi, dad." My father nodded towards me and gave a half smile. "Long time, no see. How are things?" He questioned. I smiled brightly, "Things are going great actually. The apartment is spectacular and I've had a job for a few months now. Things are going rather smoothly."

"And your art?" My mother inquired, putting a lower voice at the word "art." My grin grew bigger, "Most of my income comes from my paintings, I paint portraits and landscapes on the beach every other day. People eat them up." My parents slowly nodded, trying to seem engaged and impressed. I ignored it and tapped Cooper's shoulder.

He turned, a mouth full of chicken nachos and I laughed softly. "Mom, Dad, this is Cooper. He's my neighbor back at my flat." I introduced, becoming amused by my parents reaction to Cooper's blindness. Their faces scrunched up and their eyes searched up and down on his lengthy body.

"Pleasure to meet your acquaintance," Cooper stated, holding his hand out, I thought purposely way off to the right. I smiled as I named my parents, "Coop, this is my father, James." My father put out his hand to shake, and Cooper shook it rather violently and I had to hold in a laugh. "And this is my mother, Charlotte."

Cooper went in to lay a smooch on my mother's hand but she quickly pulled away and Cooper just hummed in response to the rude action. "Well, uh," she began, still looking at Cooper strangely which was starting to make me annoyed. "I can't say I'm not surprised that you chose to make friends with this kind of person," she forced a laugh, trying to be funny but ultimately failed as her ignorance made my fist clench and Cooper's jaw stop chewing.

"I agree," my dad added, "He is a unique individual that is for sure." He waved his hand in front of Cooper's face while silently giggling and I gave him my angry eyes. He was making fun of Cooper and talking as if he wasn't standing there next to all of us. I cleared my throat, "He's been wonderful to me. Cooper and his friends showed me around Carins and made me feel at home. I'm very lucky to have met him."

For a moment, Cooper and I looked toward each other, a soft smile resting on both our faces. I knew I had spoken for both of us just then.

I saw my mother creak a smile and put a hand on her chest, "I don't see how he could be much of a help but whatever works for you, Sophia." My parents giggled to each other and my blood began to boil. I did not bring Cooper to be interrogated by my family, I was supposed to be. I felt Sydney stand on all fours and pawed in front of Cooper protectively and thats just what I wanted to do. He probably hated me for letting him come along, this wasn't supposed to happen.

But Cooper smirked anyways, and his face did not look one bit ashamed, unlike mine which was beat red. "I have heard such jokes before, Mrs. Rollins," he spoke. My mother became quiet for a moment. "I may not have eyes, but it doesn't take much to see how beautiful and strong your daughter is."

My heart raced. And my parents faces became still.

"I suggest you two open your eyes and not become blind to the hurt you cause in people," Cooper growled, the voice I heard yesterday in Noah and Cooper's living room crawled out of his throat again. And I wanted to know how I could stop him from becoming angry.

Silence fell between the five of us, Jonathan stood impressed by Cooper while my parents cowered underneath him. "Now if you excuse me, my plate of appetizers is empty and I am going to go fill it back up," he stated. I held in a laugh, he was still his silly self in these situations. "Oh and Sophie," I turned to him, "Yes?" He continued, "Go help Jonathan with whatever he was saying earlier, I'll be here waiting for you whenever you are ready."

Before I could muster a response, Cooper leaned in and kissed me.

--------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I'M FREAKING OUT AS MUCH AS YOU ARE RN AHHHHHHHHH. This is by far one of my favorite chapters and I just love these characters and how strong they can become and I just keep falling more in love with them each time I write, I hope you do the same each time you read. also 500 FREAKING READS YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT THIS IS INCREDIBLE.

remember to comment and vote! i would love to hear from all of you, reading your comments is one of my favorite things!! i love you so much, talk to you next week..

-nicole robinson