Chapter 18

The days with my mum flew by, the days at home were very nice. My mum and Daniel had really gotten to know each other, the two getting along great.

My mum and I even went shopping together, also for Daniel's birthday. It's his birthday on the first of July, which is tomorrow. We're already in Austria now, for the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend. I am nervous about my gift, I'm not sure if Daniel likes it. I have a feeling he will, but you never know, with Dan.

On Friday night, we'll all give Daniel his presents, the entire team together. It's Thursday night now, Daniel and I are just having a night in. We're just watching a movie on Netflix, cuddling on bed.

"So, what have you gotten me for my birthday?" Daniel asks, a wide grin on his face.

"You'll see tomorrow" I mumble, pressing my lips against his chest. Daniel groans, he has been asking me the same question for about a week now, ever since I went shopping with my mum. He thinks I've bought him a present back then, when in reality I bought his parents only a couple of days ago, when my mum was gone already.

"But I want to see now" Daniel pouts, making me giggle. I shake my head, rolling on top of him and leaning down to kiss him. Daniel's hands move to my waist, holding me close to him.

"Good way to distract me" Daniel mumbles against my lips. I nod and lay down, on top of him. Daniel wraps his arms around me, holding me close to him.

-

I'm sitting behind the pitwall, ready for FP1. Simon is already sitting next to me, grinning at me. I have a feeling he knows about Daniel and me, but he hasn't said a word. I don't want to say anything either, but I have a feeling that people will know after tonight.

"I'm so ready for this weekend" Simon mumbles into the radio. I look at him and see the grin still on his face.

"Me too, feel like the boys can do well here" Simon agrees, moving his eyes to the monitors. Rocky, who now sits next to me, taps my shoulder.

"Max can go out first" he says, making me smile and nod. I turn around to Lee, giving him a thumbs up for Max to go out.

Max goes out on track, Daniel soon following him. I just let Max do his thing, he's just driving laps, fast laps, around the track.

"Is there a reason why I'm on Supers?" Max asks. I almost giggle at his annoyed and confused voice.

"Because we don't want to drive the fastest time in FP1. We just want to see how these are compared to the Ultra's" I explain, hoping he gets it.

"They suck compared to Ultra's. Can I get the Ulta's now that we know this?" I roll my eyes, but I can see some amused faces.

"No. Suck it up and keep driving, Max" I just say. This shuts him up, as he just stays out. After a couple of laps, he gets in to change to a new set of tyres, the Super Softs, again. This results in yet another annoyance from Max.

Max finishes the session in P8, Daniel P5. I look at Simon, who just sighs. I walk back into the garage, ready to do some data analysing.

I calmly check everything, talk to some mechanics about FP2. That is, until my phone buzzes.

Daniel : can we talk?

My heart starts to hammer in my chest. Those are never the good texts, are they?

Mackenzie : sure. Where?

Daniel : come to my motorhome?

I don't reply, but just go there. The entire way there, I feel myself growing more and more nervous. Why does he asks it like that? It makes me feel really insecure, not knowing what it's about.