Chapter 15: Kill or Be Killed

Start from the beginning

Caroline then got directions for where they wanted us three to paint from a volunteer before leading us to the pavilion.

As we started to walk to the area Caroline started to talk about her poor relationship with her mom.

"So suddenly, she's in the running for Mother of the Year just when I'm trying to avoid her the most. I'm babbling, you don't want to hear all this." I gave Caroline a reassuring smile trying to tell her that I didn't mind.

Sadly, it seemed that Elena's was spaced out a bit yet still had one ear on the conversation surprisingly. Wonder what's going on. No doubt boy troubles.

"Oh, no, sorry. Then what happened?" Elena asked as she tried to pay attention to her friend.

"Well, I was a bitch which is par for the course with us," Caroline started before trying to smoothly change the subject. "So, how are things with you and Stefan? Anything?"

Confusion had me as it was almost like Caroline was forcing herself to ask this question especially when she seemed to try and act nonchalant about it after bemoaning her relationship with mother.

But it also got my attention because, what was going on the Elena and Stefan?

I thought about that for a few seconds as we each went to a spot in the pavilion to start painting, I took the post behind Elena who was painting the platform an old water pump was on while Caroline got the other post next to Elena.

"No, not since the fight. He's been pushing me away because he thinks that Katherine might get jealous enough to hurt me. I just don't know how to change his mind." Elena asked but even though I didn't hear her heart skip a beat. I felt like I didn't know the whole story and it was almost like she twisted it slightly.

Not enough to lie, no that would be obvious to any vampire--or in my case, werewolf.

And even though I wanted to question them about who Katherine was, I felt like I remember that name from somewhere. Wait, was this the same Katherine that sired Stefan and Damon Salvatore?

And from what the rumors were said, a total bitch that Elena seemed to be a doppelganger to? If so, then dang this group of people seem to have really bad luck.

Either way I was definitely going to be silent here and hear what they have to say about the topic.

"You said that Katherine's dangerous. Maybe he's got a point." Caroline tried to point out to Elena.

"Yeah, I know that she's dangerous and I know that he's just trying to protect me but it feels like giving up and I just..." Elena looked a little lost as she slightly trailed off at the end.

"Just what?" Caroline asked confused but pushing the subject lightly.

"I just thought that we were stronger than that," Elena answered back honestly.

For the next few minutes we worked in silence. I did note that Stefan, Damon, and Mason were all around and I could feel the shift of trouble in the air.

It seemed the feud was going to hold up, Werewolves versus Vampires. Will that stupid feud ever die?

I wasn't surprised that drama seemed to come back, as Elena and Stefan were throwing looks at one another. It seemed that even Caroline noticed it too as she told Elena, "Oh, oh. Longing looks are being exchanged."

"I'm gonna go talk to him," Elena said with a bit of determination as she got up.

"No, Elena. I think it's a bad idea." Caroline tried to stop Elena from creating any more drama but also seemed reluctant somehow.