Chapter One

Please note that this entire story is fiction. The setting of this story is also fiction, and so are the main characters.

All Rights Reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One

“You vill not talk to anyone unless you are spoken to, you vill not make eye contact with anyone unless you need to, you vill bow your ‘ead at all times and it vill only rise when it needs to,” Madame Bolrix said with high demand in her voice.

“Yes Madame,” I said in a voice that could be classed as a whisper.

“Vat?”

“Yes Madame,” I spoke louder.

“Good, now follow moi and I vill lead you to you rum,” her voice was so heavily accented that I barely understood what she was saying.  She was a beautiful person. She had a slim, slender body and beautiful brown hair that was tied neatly in a bun, she wore her work clothes; a royal blue dress with the crest of the royal family, under her dress she wore black tights that clung to her legs. She wore black heels to add to her already high height.  She had the deepest green eyes that shone like emeralds in the light. Her cheekbones looked as if someone had cut them with such care. Looking at her made me realise how awful I looked compared to her. She was a woman of about thirty, but she could pass as a twenty five year old.

“Once you reach your rum, you vill change out of your common clothes and into your work clothes, your closet has been kitted out with different dresses for different days, royalty does not like the same clothes worn twice,” she said. ‘Jeez’ I thought and widened my eyes, Madame raised her eyebrows and I lowered my gaze.

“Yes Madame,” I said.

“Now, come, you must hurry,” She said and she began walking. We had exited the gigantic kitchen and walked down several huge hallways until we reached the servants’ quarters.

“ ’Zis is where ze butlers sleep, ‘ere the cooks, ‘ere the chauffeurs, and ze day staff ‘ere. Your job is different form ze others, you are ‘ere as the prince’s maid, or special assistant or whatever it is he wants you to be, it does not matter, you vill serve only him, nobody else, you vill do everything he says, you vill stay awake until he has fallen asleep and you vill retreat to your bedroom which is just down ze hall from the prince’s, he may call you in ze middle of the night and you VILL awake to complete your duty, you vill get one day in ze week for your own personal time, but zis day will change accordingly to the prince’s schedule. Do I make myself clear?” she demanded. I nodded and thought to myself ‘I chose this, I chose this for my future, it’s the only way,’

“But, excuse me, Madame, I thought you were showing me my room, you said just now that my bedroom is down the hall from the prince’s, so why have you bought me here?” I asked meekly

“My petite, you must familiarise yourself with ze palace, and zis may be a place you visit often, as I do, and I am the queen’s first hand maid, just as you are for the prince,” she looked at me and slightly smiled.

“I have appointed you for ze job, because you passed all ze tests, also because your eyes tell me zat you really need ze money, am I not right?” she said more quietly, I widened my eyes and stared at her in shock.

“I do, but how?...” I asked.

“My petite, I can see things others cannot, and I know you will be fit for the job as you need the money for whatever it is you need it for, but child, you are young, you should be focusing on your studies no? Vat brings you to France? You are clearly not from ‘ere,” She asked. These questions were not asked during the interview so I was guessing she was covering them here.