Chapter 2

*KNOCK*

*KNOCK*

*KNOCK*

Loud knocks awaken the people who live in the blacksmith shop. As the couple wakes, they each ignite the lamps beside their bed.

"Who in blazes knocking at this hour?!" a man at his thirties grumbled.

"Just check who it is and sleep right back!" a woman who's two years younger said as she put the flames out of the lamp and tucked herself and went back to sleep.

"You old hag." the man said under his breathe.

"What did you say?!" angerly the woman said.

"I said you're an OLD HAG!" the man said jokingly and received a pillow to the face.

The man sat upright on the bed, stretched and yawned and slowly get up and put on his slippers. He puts on a coat ties the strings around his waist and went downstairs, he reached for the door finding no one there, he scratched his head thinking someone is messing around at this hour.

"Must be drunk bastards disturbing people." He said as he closes the door.

As he closes the door he heard something strange, wondering what that was he didn't bother to look for that noise. Until that noise became like filing of an infant, he widely opens the door, doubled checked again. He looked down and found a moving blanket inside a basket. Baffled, he slowly lifts the blanket, finding a baby! He cupped his mouth with his hand, he frantically looked around for the baby's parents or anybody, anyone looking for a baby. He gently picks up the baby hoping to calm him down, The slowly rocked the baby back and forth, as any mother would do.

"You poor thing, who would do this to their own child," he said as he gently rocked the baby.

While he's calming the baby down, a guard approached him with a torch in hand.

"Good evening sir. Fredrick!" said the guard.

"G-good evening to you too Stevenson " Fredrick replied. The guard looked at the baby.

"Ahh, taking care of the baby at this hour? The miss' must be proud!"

"A-ah well... technically it's my sisters... baby. She dropped him off because of her uhm... business that she has to attend too..."

"Ahh, that so? Well, I better get a move on patrolling. Have a good night sir. Fredrick and don't push yourself too hard ya hear?" the guard bid farewell.

"Same to you too." Fredrick sighed as he looked at the baby, snuggled between his arms.

"What am I going to do with you?" he said, worried for the baby.

"Hey!" his wife sneaked behind him. Fredrick jolted almost waking the baby.

"Jeez, Marie! Stop sneaking behind of people, you're going to give them a heart attack!" Fredrick said as quietly as possible. Maries giggled.

"I'm sorry dear, I couldn't resist. I was worried that you took so long to- Oh my... god, is that...?" Marie was shocked that his husband holds a baby in his arms.

"Yes... It's what you think." Fredrick said.

"W-what? H-how? Where did she come from?" Marie asked while being baffled.

"It's a boy. I don't know either, I just found him right in front of our door inside a basket." Fredrick pointed out the basket. Marie investigates the basket.

"Look dear, there's a note." Marie picked up the note.

"What does it say?" Fredrick leaned closer to read the note.

"It say's 'Please take care of my boy' that's all it says." Maries read the note. She notices something else in the basket, something shimmering lit by the moonlight.

"There's something else in the basket," Maries said and reached inside the basket.

"What is it?" Fredrick asked. Marie searched for it in the basket.

"It's a... necklace? no ring?" Maries said as she examines the necklace.

"Wow, that's a genuine silver right there," Fredrick claimed.

"What are we going to do now?" Marie said.

"We could... take him to the orphanage?" Fredrick said.

"What? No! All they care about is money, they don't take care of the children properly there! They don't even care about them, let alone an innocent baby!" Marie said, concerned about the baby.

"Then what are we supposed to do? We just can't raise him, we can't afford that!" Fredrick said, still carrying the baby. Marie took the baby from Fredrick.

"Look at him, Freddie! Would you let a fragile creature sold off to a stranger that God knows what they do?" Marie said as she rocks the baby with a warm smile. Fredrick scratches his chin, thinking of what to do with the baby.

"We don't even have the experience to raise a child, a baby in fact," Fredrick said.

"We. Can. Manage." Marie said with a determined face. Fredrick sighed.

"Fine... we can keep the baby, but on one condition," Fredrick said.

"And what would that be?" Marie asked.

"The condition is... Never forget about me, your husband, while taking care of the boy, that is..." Fredrick said. Marie giggled and glide her hand through Fredricks thin beard.

"Silly. I won't. We will be a happy family like we promised many years ago." Marie said as she smiles so brightly. Fredrick sees his wife as a woman he once fell for.

"Yes. Let's do just that." Fredrick kissed his wife on the forehead.

"It's getting late, we should head to bed," Fredrick said. He fetched the basket and with the baby, they all went to bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------
That's the end of chapter 2!

I'm sorry it's a bit short but other chapters would be a lot longer.

Feel free to leave any remarks!

C
Y
@ later, Bubye!