Chapter 13: The Proposal

Start from the beginning

"Chance pleases stop beating around the bush and tell me what it was my father told you." I was starting to get frustrated with him, but knew this wasn't the time or the place to start fighting.

He turned back around and looked me dead on. "That's the thing Milly, if I tell you then you will think I'm just pushing you into something you're not ready for. You just told me a few moments ago you wanted to take things day by day. That this proposal would just make you shut me out again and I can't have that."

I took a deep breath before walking over to him and wrapping my arms around his waist as he did the same to me. "Chance you just told me to have an open mind. Now please, tell me what it was my father advised we should do."

"He said we should get married or at less be engaged, then I would be able to help you run the company." He finally told me. I watched as his shoulders dropped and his head fell to the point I couldn't even see his face.

I remember my father telling me that he always wanted Chance and me to work things out and be together. Had he planned this to happen between us? The major question in this could I see myself married to Chance as he ran two companies on his own, while I still lived my simple life.

"Chance, I don't think that's a good direction to take. I just think it is too much work for you to handle on your own, which out someone there to help with the workload." I reply, trying not to think about the marriage part in this.

"I've been doing it for the past year, Milly." He remarked, lifting his head up. "Your father had put me as administer of his company when he became sicker. I have a good friend of mine helping me out to make sure everything runs right. It's no problem running the company since I already know what's going on."

Now there's the obstacle about us getting married. I finally just got used to the idea that Chance was going to be here to stay and try to work things out. It was too soon to be talking about marriage when I still didn't fully trust him.

It felt as if my hands were tied behind my back. I could give up the life that I work for to run my father's company, that I knew nothing about, even though I'm sure Chance would help me out. There was the opinion on just giving it all too some woman I didn't know till about an hour ago. The last one had been too obtuse to understand, that it was too hard to wrap my head around.

"Milly, I can tell you're over thinking this all through. Just listen to what I have to say and hopefully it will ease your mind." He took a deep breath before looking me in the eyes. "You agree to work things out and see where this will go, right?"

"Yes, but..." I try to explain before he held his hand up to silence me.

"Then we get in engaged and try to work things out, like we already were planning to do. We don't have to run off and get married right away. We can stay engaged for the rest of your life and never married, just being together and raising Ayanna would be good enough for me. Then you won't have to worry about that spiteful woman taking your father's company or giving up your life you made for yourself." He explained, finally making sense of everything.

"Ok Chance we can get engaged, but please don't become all controlling. I still need my space and time to figure all this out between us." I imply, so he how I felt about us being together. "When I said I wanted to take it day by day, I still mean it."

"Just like I meant it, when I told that she devil I was a taken man. My heart has always belonged to you, so it doesn't matter how long it takes for you to come around, I will be here." He declared before pressing his lips into mine. It was a soft and gentle kiss as our lips move in sync. When he pulled away from me, it left me wanting more.

"If you're finished making out the lawyer waiting for your answer." We heard that repulsive woman says. Turn my head to see her standing before us with her hands placed on her hips, looking at us with an outrage appearance. Chance just grabs my hand and walked us past her back into the office.

"So what have you decided?" The lawyer asked the moment we walked into the door.

"I'll be taking over the company from Lilly Dunn. We agree to get married." Chance announces to the room. I looked over at my mother who had a bright smile plastered across her face, as the rest of my father board room friends looked confused. "I have already been running Mr. Dunn's company for the past year with my friend Mason Davila, so this won't be any problems. Even there is then I'm sure my soon to be wife and me can discuss a solution."

"What, you can't do that. It wasn't one of the options she was given." Rose yelled from behind us. "So Lilly, sister, which will it be? Live your life you have now or hand the company over to me." Will this woman just give up, I still clueless on who she was and why she was even here. The more she made herself known the more pissed off I was getting.

"Well, it just so happens to be one of the options, I just didn't want to publicize it to the room. If this is the agreement they have made, then I must obey their wishes." The lawyer proclaims to everyone. "I'll have the paperwork ready for you to sign by the end of the week. This meeting is adjourned. Have a good afternoon everyone."

The few people that were in the room, turning and congratulated us as they walked by. My mother came to us the same time the unholy Rose did. "Just because you found some twist loophole and think you're going to live happy ever after you have another thing coming dear sister. Because of you, our father through my mother out like yesterday new. You can count I'll be sticking around to take everything you ever held deep in your heart." We didn't have time to react before she turned on her heals and walked out the door.

I looked over at my mother who had a sour look upon her face. "That woman is malicious, exactly like her mother."

"Mom who is she to Dad. Why wasn't I ever told about her?"

"Honey, this isn't the time or place to discuss this turn of effect. We will talk about this later." She said, pulling us into a big hug. "Right now I want to cognate you two on getting engaged. I never thought you let Chance in this fast given how hateful you always been to him growing up."

"Mom, it's more of a business agreement. I don't want to give up my life I have made for myself, but I didn't want to give away father's company to someone I didn't know. Chance and I are just going to take it one day at a time to see how it goes." I explain, releasing myself from her hold.

"Ok dear. How about you two and my lovely granddaughter come over for dinner tonight before you drive back home. We can talk about this Rose problem then." She asked, knowing I wasn't about to turn her down. I had even more unanswered questions that I needed to be filled in before I try to go back to my simple life.

revised 11/10/2015 

copyright © 2014 Letty Scott/Embrace_Passion (All Rights Revered)