Chapter 9-Subjects

Start from the beginning

    "An‭ ‬immune...immune‭ ‬to‭ ‬what‭?" ‬I‭ ‬wondered.‭ ‬He‭ ‬frowned‭ ‬heavily‭ ‬and‭ ‬sighed‭ ‬before‭ ‬standing.

‭    "‬So‭ ‬they‭ ‬did‭ ‬not‭ ‬tell‭ ‬you.‭ ‬It‭ ‬is‭ ‬not‭ ‬my‭ ‬place‭ ‬to‭ ‬tell‭ ‬you.‭ ‬The‭ ‬one‭ ‬who‭ ‬was‭ ‬with‭ ‬you‭ ‬must‭ ‬do‭ ‬that.‭"

    "Where‭ ‬is‭ ‬he,‭ ‬where‭ ‬is‭ ‬Kybe‭?"

    "I‭ ‬will‭ ‬say‭ ‬that‭ ‬if‭ ‬you‭ ‬were‭ ‬to‭ ‬break‭ ‬out‭ ‬of‭ ‬those‭ ‬chains,‭ ‬he‭ ‬is‭ ‬at‭ ‬the‭ ‬end‭ ‬of‭ ‬this‭ ‬hall‭ ‬in‭ ‬the‭ ‬detention‭ ‬room.‭ ‬Who‭ ‬knows‭ ‬what‭ ‬punishment‭ ‬he‭ ‬is‭ ‬receiving.‭ ‬This‭ ‬is‭ ‬the‭ ‬first‭ ‬time‭ ‬he‭ ‬has‭ ‬disobeyed.‭"

    "Then‭ ‬why‭ ‬are‭ ‬you‭ ‬subjects‭ ‬here‭? ‬Are‭ ‬they‭ ‬testing‭ ‬something‭ ‬on‭ ‬your‭ ‬kind‭?"

    He‭ ‬turned‭ ‬his‭ ‬head‭ ‬to‭ ‬look‭ ‬down‭ ‬the‭ ‬hall,‭ ‬then‭ ‬back‭ ‬at‭ ‬me.‭ ‬He‭ ‬sat‭ ‬back‭ ‬down,‭ ‬but‭ ‬his‭ ‬face‭ ‬was‭ ‬closer‭ ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬bars‭ ‬than‭ ‬before.

‭    "‬My‭ ‬kind‭ ‬are‭ ‬the‭ ‬vegetarians.‭ ‬I‭'‬m‭ ‬sure‭ ‬219‭ ‬has‭ ‬told‭ ‬you‭ ‬what‭ ‬that‭ ‬means‭ ‬to‭ ‬us.‭ ‬Because‭ ‬of‭ ‬this,‭ ‬we‭ ‬are‭ ‬also‭ ‬naturally‭ ‬friendly‭ ‬to‭ ‬our‭ ‬children.‭ ‬I‭ ‬hope‭ ‬he‭ ‬has‭ ‬told‭ ‬you‭ ‬about‭ ‬how‭ ‬humans‭ ‬were‭ ‬really‭ ‬created.‭"

    "He‭ ‬has,‭"

    "Good,‭ ‬because‭ ‬to‭ ‬us,‭ ‬humans‭ ‬are‭ ‬our‭ ‬children.‭ ‬Now‭ ‬that‭ ‬does‭ ‬not‭ ‬mean‭ ‬we‭ ‬can‭'‬t‭ ‬mate‭ ‬with‭ ‬them,‭ ‬since‭ ‬they‭ ‬are‭ ‬not‭ ‬genetically‭ ‬our‭ ‬family.‭ ‬Many‭ ‬of‭ ‬my‭ ‬kind‭ ‬have‭ ‬wandered‭ ‬onto‭ ‬this‭ ‬planet‭ ‬since‭ ‬the‭ ‬beginning‭ ‬to‭ ‬mark‭ ‬a‭ ‬mate‭ ‬and‭ ‬take‭ ‬them‭ ‬back‭ ‬with‭ ‬us.‭ ‬Unfortunately,‭ ‬it‭ ‬is‭ ‬like‭ ‬having‭ ‬a‭ ‬prostitute‭ ‬on‭ ‬your‭ ‬planet.‭ ‬It‭ ‬was‭ ‬illegal‭ ‬to‭ ‬come‭ ‬here‭ ‬at‭ ‬all.‭ ‬When‭ ‬the‭ ‬elders‭ ‬gave‭ ‬the‭ ‬order‭ ‬to‭ ‬kill‭ ‬the‭ ‬humans,‭ ‬we‭ ‬were‭ ‬all‭ ‬shocked,‭ ‬especially‭ ‬the‭ ‬vegetarians.‭ ‬We‭ ‬came‭ ‬here‭ ‬of‭ ‬our‭ ‬own‭ ‬intention‭ ‬to‭ ‬protect‭ ‬the‭ ‬humans.‭ ‬Kybe‭ ‬doesn‭'‬t‭ ‬understand‭ ‬that‭ ‬though.‭ ‬He‭ ‬was‭ ‬the‭ ‬first‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬captured‭ ‬by‭ ‬the‭ ‬humans‭ ‬and‭ ‬turned‭ ‬into‭ ‬a‭ ‬test‭ ‬subject.‭ ‬Of‭ ‬course,‭ ‬he‭ ‬let‭ ‬them‭ ‬capture‭ ‬him.‭"

    "Why‭ ‬did‭ ‬he‭ ‬do‭ ‬that‭?"

    "He‭ ‬did‭ ‬this‭ ‬because‭ ‬vegetarians‭ ‬are‭ ‬not‭ ‬dangerous‭ ‬in‭ ‬nature‭ ‬unless‭ ‬we‭ ‬want‭ ‬to‭ ‬protect‭ ‬something.‭ ‬He‭ ‬must‭ ‬have‭ ‬naturally‭ ‬thought‭ ‬that‭ ‬if‭ ‬he‭ ‬cooperates,‭ ‬they‭ ‬would‭ ‬let‭ ‬him‭ ‬live‭ ‬and‭ ‬he‭ ‬could‭ ‬protect‭ ‬them.‭ ‬As‭ ‬for‭ ‬your‭ ‬question‭ ‬for‭ ‬the‭ ‬immunes,‭ ‬I‭ ‬cannot‭ ‬answer.‭ ‬But‭ ‬I‭ ‬will‭ ‬say‭ ‬that‭ ‬they‭ ‬have‭ ‬the‭ ‬power‭ ‬to‭ ‬protect‭ ‬their‭ ‬kind‭ ‬and‭ ‬to‭ ‬help‭ ‬rid‭ ‬of‭ ‬my‭ ‬kind‭ ‬and‭ ‬send‭ ‬them‭ ‬back.‭ ‬The‭ ‬humans‭ ‬want‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬able‭ ‬to‭ ‬spread‭ ‬that‭ ‬power‭ ‬and‭ ‬make‭ ‬more‭ ‬immunes.‭"

    "So‭ ‬are‭ ‬you‭ ‬saying‭ ‬that‭ ‬I‭ ‬am‭ ‬one‭ ‬of‭ ‬them‭?"

    "You‭ ‬could‭ ‬be,‭ ‬or‭ ‬you‭ ‬could‭ ‬also‭ ‬be‭ ‬a‭ ‬test‭ ‬subject‭ ‬to‭ ‬see‭ ‬if‭ ‬the‭ ‬scientists‭ ‬can‭ ‬successfully‭ ‬implant‭ ‬the‭ ‬immune‭ ‬into‭ ‬you.‭ ‬I‭ ‬do‭ ‬not‭ ‬have‭ ‬that‭ ‬kind‭ ‬of‭ ‬information.‭"

"What‭ ‬is‭ ‬your‭ ‬name‭?"

    He‭ ‬quickly‭ ‬stood‭ ‬up,‭ ‬being‭ ‬prepared‭ ‬to‭ ‬leave‭ ‬as‭ ‬the‭ ‬creak‭ ‬of‭ ‬an‭ ‬opening‭ ‬door‭ ‬roared‭ ‬through‭ ‬the‭ ‬echoing‭ ‬cells.‭ ‬Footsteps‭ ‬echoed‭ ‬after,‭ ‬but‭ ‬before‭ ‬he‭ ‬turned‭ ‬to‭ ‬leave,‭ ‬he‭ ‬spoke‭ ‬with‭ ‬confidence.

‭    "‬Call‭ ‬me‭ ‬Scales,‭"