Let Me Trash Your Love

As I swept the floor of my studio for the thousandth time today I heard the bell ring signaling the opening of the door. I looked up to see a woman, mid thirties, colored red hair, and a warm smile.

"Hello, I was wondering if you took walk-ins?"

"Normally I don't, but today is slow so maybe I could squeeze you in. What are you looking to do today?"

"I want to re-color and trim my hair, if that's alright?"

"Sure. My name's Kellin. Come this way." I led the woman to one of the chairs in my studio and she sat down gracefully.

"My name is Danielle, by the way."

"Alright, Danielle, what color do you want to do?"

"I was thinking auburn."

I played with her hair for a moment and thought, "Alright. Auburn would look fabulous on you. I'm going to have to do a full head foil, it's going to take awhile."

She just smiled and I tapped her shoulder before walking to the back to retrieve my foil and start mixing the dye for her hair. As soon as I was finished I came back out, set up the things and began.

"Who is that in the picture with you?"

I never took my eyes off of her head so I had no idea which one she was talking about, so I asked "which picture?"

"The one right there on the wall. Who's the Hispanic man with you? He's a cutie."

"Oh, that. He's my husband, Vic."

I looked at her face in the mirror and saw her shocked expression. "Husband? Well congratulations." Her face softened as she winked at me. I blushed and said,

"Thanks, but it hasn't been easy... At all."

"What do you mean?" Her voice was full of concern now. I knew coloring her hair would take awhile, so I might as well tell her our story.

"Well, it all kind of began the summer I graduated high school."

Flashback

"Kellin, hurry up!"

"Alright, Kailey! I'm coming, I'm coming!"

I rushed down the stairs and grabbed my TOMS before following my sister out the door. I got in the car with her and slipped my shoes on.

"Oh my gosh, Kellin. I have no idea what took you so long to do your hair, it's only going to get messed up at the beach anyways."

"I take pride in how I look, unlike you." I snapped back at my sister, immediately regretting it because she punched my arm.

"Don't be so sassy, Kellin. You're lucky I'm taking you with me. You're still like a child to me."

"Oh my gosh, I'm not a child!"

"Okay, you're right... Your just a drama queen."

I shot her a dirty look, and ignored her comment. Instead I turned on the radio and settled on a rock station. I stared out the window, admiring the sunny sky of San Diego. I'm so glad I moved down here with my sister as soon as I graduated. I hated Michigan. It was cold, and wet, and I was so damn pale my friends mistook me for a vampire. Sure, I'll miss Jesse and Gabe, but I needed a fresh start. As soon as we arrived to the beach we both dashed out of the car grabbing our towels from the backseat. We ran onto the warm sand, the breeze felt so nice. I closed my eyes and let the sun rays fall on to my face, and the sound of the ocean was so pretty.

"Kellin, look out!" I heard my sister shout at me. As soon as I opened my eyes I immediately closed them because I was knocked onto the ground. I fell, and someone fell on top of me. I shook my head, and sat up as soon as whoever fell on me got up. I looked up, but I couldn't see his face because he was standing right in front of the sun. However, his voice was deep, and harsh.

"Watch it, dork."

My sister came over and helped me up and said to the guy, "shut up, you should have watched where you were going, jerk."

As soon as I stood up, though I was shocked at how gorgeous he was.. I mean he was.. Flawless. His perfectly toned skin practically glowed under the sun, and his hair was so curly and bouncy. His arms were so muscular, and oh my gosh he had a nose ring. How ador-

"Whatever, just stay out of my way." He said.

"Hey, Vic! Come back over here!" The boy, who I assumed was Vic, turned around and jogged towards the other Hispanic boy just down the sandy shore. As soon as he was out of ear shot my sister brushed the sand off of me and muttered something about him being a jerk, but all I could think was how gorgeous he was.

Present Day

"So let me guess, he was the 'beach bully'?" Danielle interrupted me. I chuckled and replied,

"Well, kind of. I didn't see him for the rest of that day. In fact I didn't see him again until a few days later at a Starbucks."

Flashback

"Kailey, please!"

"Kellin, no! You need to get your own job! Now move out of the way or order something because somebody just walked- oh."

I turned around and completely forgot what we were talking about because Vic walked in. He walked straight up to the counter and said, "iced vanilla latte. Medium."

My sister stuttered out an okay and took his money. You could tell he recognized us because he was acting so cold towards us, which actually pissed me off. He waited impatiently for his drink, and as soon as it was made he snatched it from my sister and walked away. I don't know what came over me, but I chased after him and then grabbed him by the shoulder and turned him around.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" I practically shouted at him. His face went from angered to guilty. He sighed and said,

"Alright, I'm sorry.. I uhh. My name's Vic." He awkwardly out stretched his hand towards me and I shook it timidly.

"My name is Kellin."

He smiled and said, "cool name. I haven't seen you around here before, and I know everybody. I've lived here my whole life."

"Well, me and my sister just moved here from Michigan."

"That explains why you're so pale." He said with a hint of laughter in his voice. I blushed, hit his arm, and muttered

"Shut up."

"Hey, maybe we should hang out some time. I could show you around since your new."

I was taken aback by his invitation, so I just kind of said,

"Okay."

"Great, well, put your number in here, and I'll call you." He handed me his phone, and I quickly put my number in his contacts. As soon as I handed him the phone back he flashed me an adorable smile and just walked away.

Present Day

"Oh, so he asked you out on a date?" Danielle asked as I finished blow drying her hair. I set down the blow dryer and said,

"Well, not really. What he did after that was pretty cruel, to be honest."

"What did he do?" She asked, completely invested in my story. I shook my head and said,

"Make an appointment, and I'll tell you what happened next when I trim your hair."

She sighed and said,

"Alright, when is the soonest I can come back?"

"Two weeks from today should be good."