Trolls

(Elvish is in italics) (Dwarvish is in bold)

Shadow's POV

    I woke up the next morning to find Kili shaking me gently. I sat up, noticing I was in the house, not the garden. I sighed and packed my things. I followed the others outside, and we went to our ponies and horses. Gandalf looked at me and smiled.

    "Ten coins says he won't come," Kili said.

    "I say he will," I told him.

    Soon, the bet was set. Both sides had a ten coin gain or loss, depending on what side you were on. We were entering the forest when I heard a shout. As an Elf, I heard it before the others.    

    "Kili, give me my money," I said, hand out.

    "He's not here," he told me.

    "Wait! Wait!" Bilbo shouted out.

    "Oh, really?" I asked, smirking.

    Grumbling, he and Fili pulled out a bag of coins and handed them to me. Bilbo was given a pony, and we continued riding. When Bilbo started sneezing, I handed him one of my handkerchiefs. I carried at least two every time we went on a trip. He thanked me and rode on. The Dwarves weren't riding in their usual semicircle around me, but they were always on guard.

    "I always win, don't I?" I asked.

    "Yes, you do. Why do we try to go against you?" Kili replied, not looking at me.

    I laughed, knowing he was upset about losing. He never liked losing. I had my hood and mask up to hide my face for the journey. Whenever I was out of the mountains, I had my hood and mask up to hide myself. It helped my reputation as a 'rogue Elf who never reveals herself.' I also found it funny that many people think I fought Smaug. I wasn't stupid enough to do that, but I found it helped persuade people to leave me alone. I hoped no one else tried to take me to Thranduil. I never wanted to go back home, nor did I intend to.

    "Sis, you okay? You're awfully quiet," Fili asked.

    "I'm fine. Just thinking," I answered.

    "Shadow, could you come here?" Gandalf called to me.

    I spurred my horse to walk next to him, waiting for him to speak.

    "When are you going to tell them your real name?" the Wizard asked.

    "What do you mean?" I replied, genuinely confused.

    "Come now, Tavelier," he said.

    I stiffened upon hearing my old name. Gandalf noticed the change and sighed.

    "No one has called me that for years. I left it behind me, along with my old life as the Princess of the Woodland Realm. That girl is now gone, replaced by me. I killed Tavelier the day she ran away. I took her place, Mithrandir," I said stiffly.

    "You must get over what your father said to you. You cannot keep this from who you are."

    "I know who I am, Mithrandir. I am Shadow, the rogue Elf. The one who was deemed weak by her own father. I am the elleth that ran away from home due to the harsh words and actions of the King of Mirkwood. I am not Tavelier, not anymore. I will not speak of this any longer. Tell the others, and I will make sure you will regret saying a word."

    I spurred my horse past him and continued. Thorin reached out and stopped the horse by grabbing the reins.

    "Are you okay, my daughter?" he asked.