ZERO

Summer is when the sun is blazing, with the hot wind blowing the cracking leaves. Yellow staining exposed surfaces, shades feeling extra cool under the trees. It's the perfect season to book a cabin on a lake front with a pier that casts over the glistening water, with tall trees surrounding the house for the perfect amount of coolness in the hottest spot.

Harry does just that.

Looking through the dozens of websites with Louis being a one man choir in the background, he sets out a goal to find the most perfect summer home for the fourth week of June, which is coming up in two weeks. Their Australian Shepard breed pet, Bruno won't stop barking as if he's trying to outdo Louis, also making it tough for Harry to concentrate.

"Go to another room will you?" Harry shouts in a distressed tone, tugging at his curls. It's normal for Louis to be as hassle as his roommate, he usually tolerates it but not today. Louis only snickers, calling Bruno out of the kitchen and into his own bedroom which makes Harry shout with sarcasm, "Thanks!"

Harry sighs in content and begins to continue scrolling through the summer retailing website, all until his phone starts buzzing, nearly falling off the counter. He looks over to his phone seeing it being Zayn's contact name. He badly wants to avoid it but aware that he shouldn't, just in case.

"Louis text me that you're planning something. Complained about you, says you're being a grouch. Am I invited or what?" For a second, Harry wonders why Zayn would ask such a thing. Then he immediately remembers how they broke things off not too long ago, over the most pathetic disagreement. He isn't that sad that their seven month relationship went down the drain all because of living accommodations.

It's mainly because he's certain Zayn never liked him that much anyways. They were after all set up because of Louis during some drama act where Louis needed both Zayn and Harry to shop for some costume supplies together. Harry only did it for Louis, as goes for Zayn. Louis is also the reason why they argued so harshly to break up. Harry wanted and needed to stay in the company of Louis' but Zayn didn't want that, wanted badly for Harry to move in with him. It was just too soon, Harry couldn't. Especially not with Louis having trouble coping when being alone for too long.

Harry realizes he left his side of the conversation hanging for a bit too long. Instead of listening to Zayn's steady breathing and thinking to hard, he replies simply, "Course I would. We're fine."

"Are we really?" It's only been a week ─ well eight days, not that Harry's counting. Of course he isn't alright, but he's not flings to shut Zayn out like that because they had a good thing going before their relationship and during it. He's alright with him around because their thing going on wasn't that long either.

"Zayn, we have the same friends. It would be terrible if we made things weird. For their sake, I'd like to be friends. In general, I still expect you'd be my friend, too." Harry comments with a sudden confidence as if he's a lawyer making a case, certain to win from his arguments.

There's a small pause before Zayn chuckles and dismisses the call first? "Alright. I'll see you whenever. Bye." Harry doesn't say goodbye back.

Harry strides over to Louis room with a loud bang just before he enters it to shout, "Why'd you tell Zayn?" Harry crosses his arms and stands at the end of the bed, directly in front of Louis who's lying on his back, "I was going to send an invite message to all the guys individually. You were the only one who was suppose to know."

"Well sorry, that's what you get for being so very impolite back there." Louis comments almost instantly, a tone that isn't bitter and more teasing so Harry decides not to sold him any further.

Harry's still reflecting on the summer trip, it suppose to be stress free and affordable. He's only nineteen trying to look for a four bedroom lake front cabin that's equipped with proper kitchen appliances and some boats in a storage unit somewhere in the house. He could easily ask the guys to pitch in but he'd rather let them pay for transportation and food while he finds the right house.

The guys pretty much mean, aside from Zayn, Louis, and Harry himself, he's inviting Liam and Niall, who are also apart of their group. Niall and Harry have known each other since they were only at the age of single digits, soon meeting Louis at grade seven. Meanwhile, Liam was a tag along from Zayn's side when all five met senior year, bonding over different school activities. They've all known each other completely for a good two years, the end of high school and first year of college. It doesn't seem like too much for the five, but its been a good friendship. This is why Harry needs the perfect house, needs a proper location that just shouts, "I'm so proud we've been friends for a while."

"I see that stressed look. You need to calm the fuck down, Hazz." Louis mentions before poking Harry's knee with his toe, gesturing him to sit down. Harry lays alongside Louis, remaining silent which makes Louis continues, "Hey. How about try calling that new boy of yours. He's a tour manager for that one summer resort. Think he knows a thing or two about rental homes?"

"Oh! Yeah, let me call Nick. Thanks, Louis!" Harry smothers Louis with a saliva filled cheek kiss and a tight squeeze knocking Louis breath away, just before running out of his bedroom with a squeal.

In Harry's own bedroom, he contacts this guy he's been interested way before he was with Zayn. Harry doesn't like the guy like that anymore ─ even Louis hates him, saying it'll never work, but then again, Harry remembers how Zayn never really liked, liked Harry anyways, so what does work really. Avoiding those thoughts, he continues on the phone talking to Nick about his dilemma, in which Nick texts him a link of a house that's got everything on Harry's wishlist.

Just like that, Harry finds the perfect summer rental home, locating at Donner's Lake.

☼ ✿ ☻ ☼ ✿ ☻ ☼ ✿ ☻ ☼ ✿ ☻ ☼ ✿ ☻ ☼

I've always wanted to write a horror fic, but never got to it. Thanks to zoobiesforzayn I felt more inspired to actually start on it. Therefore, here you go. Get ready for a one direction summertime scary story featuring a zarry relationship, larry friendship, and possibly something else!

several hours later...
This is a Zourry fic because during the writing, Larry was too cute. And I couldn't have Zayn not be with Harry again. ♡

Started: June 5, 2017 12:23 PM
Published: June 5, 2017 9:06 PM
Completed: x

Revival: July 24, 2017 12:17 PM
(After chapter seven)