Chosen

My eyes flew upon and I immediately thought  '5 more minutes'. I slowly stroked my bison, Kara's, fur as she woke, and flopped her tail lazily cutting open the ball of ice encasing us. "What happened?" I asked myself, and automatically I felt memories come flooding back to me. Aang leaving, the battle, ice,sleep, then as though someone was calling me 'fire' 'fire' 'fire' 'fire nation'. I stood, and hopped onto Kara.

"Yip yip." We soared through the air, headed towards the fire nation, towards the one place where the enemy's lay. 

*In the fire nation*

"Kara shift" I watched as my huge bison morphed into a tiny fire-cat. She was special, and animals like her only ever came up when there were 2 avatars. "Good girl" I stepped out from behind the veil of bushes, and moved forward towards the first family I saw.  They were just sitting there, a girl around my age, and a older couple obviously the parents. "Do you know where I can get some clothes?" I inquired, testing whether or no they were good people.

"Honey, where are your parents?" The woman asked. I bowed my head, and they gasped. "Leia can you get this girl a piece or two of you clothes?" The girl, Leia, ran towards a small house on the corner, and came back with a small pile of clothes. She led me towards the house, and into the changing room. When I was finished, I stood in front of the mirror. My top only had a strap on my right shoulder  and it was cut off and showed my stomach. The skirt was red with three darker strips on top of it hanging down, and I had gold wristbands on and 2 gold bands circled my small arm muscles, along with a small red necklace with 3 gold charms on it. Leia entered, and did my hair up so I had some behind my back, some in a small triangle on top that was supported by a hair clip. and the rest in two little pigtails hanging down in front of my shoulders. 

"Why so fancy? but thank you anyway" Leia giggled. She shoved a flyer in my face and I quickly read it. "All unengaged females between the ages of 14-17 are to report to the central city for a counting and presentation by Prince Zuko" Unengaged? 14-17? Central City? Prince Zuko? I was officially confused now. Before I could ask, she dragged me outside and towards a large square that was surrounded by shops and stores, and a single stage. Every girl there was forced into 2 groups, benders and non-benders. Soldiers went out and around town to check houses for more girls as they tested benders to be sure we weren't lying. 

Once they assured everyone was there and truthfully sorted, all non-benders were sent home, and everyone else was sorted by some trait or another, though for some reason I was forced onstage with one other girl. A young boy only a year older then me came onstage, and faced the 2 of us on stage. He looked deep in thought for a moment, "Name" 

"Sina" I replied smiling.

"June" The other girl stood proud and strong, yet somehow snobbish. The boy, presumably Prince Zuko, pointed at me and flatly said, "Her, the ceremony is over, escort her to the palace." The square filled with sighs, and the light pitter-patter of steps. 4 soldiers surrounded me, and began walking our 'group' towards a large palace. There I was escorted to a small room where the prince was already sitting.

"I'm sorry for this. You have a life to live, and probably a crush on someone out in the towns, but I was instructed to find the best possible girl." He sighed.

"Whats happening? Why am I here?" He handed me a paper. Okay what is with these people and answering questions with paper! I ignored the mental question I asked myself and read the paper. 'Dear _____,

You and Prince Zuko now have a year to get to know each other, and be molded into our fearless leaders. At the end of this year you are to wed. and take control of the nation while our forces head out to war. Congratulations to being picked, and do not fail our nation.'

My eyes widened. "But I, I, my life, I, there's nothing to do about it is there? No offense intended of course but well yeah" Zuko nodded, looking up at me, with eyes almost begging my for his forgiveness. It was weird, he looked so stony and cold when he chose me, now he seemed so sad ,pleading, begging, almost helpless looking. 

"Please, I can't live with someone who hates me. I don't want to hurt you. I can't accept the fact that I've hurt someone like you. There's a reason I chose you. I was intrigued,  the look in your eyes, it looked like pure innocence, something sweet, yet something hurt deep in your eyes." He looked me in the eyes, as though recalling whatever he had seen in them. He pulled me closer into a tight hug.

" You know what, lets try it. We have a year to get to know each other right? I can't hold a grudge for a year, well not unless I'm really mad, and seeing as I have no crush or even family to be taken away from, this is just a chance to form a life with a nice guy." He seemed relieved. Zuko took my hand, and opened the door, revealing a clapping crowd of people in fancy garments. People stared at Zuko with questioning glances, and he nodded, raising our arms into the air. The second our interlocked fingers punched the air,  reporters burst into the palace.

"What do you hope to be able to say of this relationship a year from now?" One person broke through the protective wall of fire surrounding us.

"That I can truthfully say I love him." I spoke clearly, and awwwwws broke out. 

* Later*

"Come, its time for your bending lessons." Iroh instructed me. I closed my eyes for a moment before opening them tiredly. "Here, have some tea. It will energize you" Iroh offered. I smiled wearily up at him, gratefully taking the steaming cup. The warm liquid slipped down my throat momentarily giving me a burst of energy. A thin hand appeared in front of my face gesturing for me to grab it. I took hold of it, and looked up. Zuko smiled down warmly at me, lifting me to my feet. 

"Training has been postponed until tomorrow, you should get some food, and some rest."  He pulled 2 dinner plates from behind his back. "Uncle, I'm afraid that you will need to go down to the dining room for your dinner,  my father wishes that Sina and I spend some time together." It was nerve-wracking, yet somehow exciting to imagine truly meeting the boy I would marry. Okay that sentence sounded weird, shouldn't you know someone before becoming engaged? Well never mind that,  it was happening anyway.

"I just feel so bad, ripping your life away from you!" He exclaimed the moment we were alone.

"You need to stop saying sorry! There is no life that you ripped away from me. My family is not here. I had no crush, and my friends went with my family during the attack, if you know what I mean. Out of  every  girl in the square, be glad you picked me, because they actually had things to be ripped away. Promise me you WILL NOT apologize again." I had put down my plate and began to shake his shoulders. He laughed and nodded. I got a random thought, and kissed his forehead, blushed and sat down.

"So what do you... look for in a boy?" He asked, smirking.

""Easy. Humor, charming, not overly flattering, romantic, and I have a question for you" I smirked, and he gulped, "What do you look for in a girl?"

Zuko blushed." Ummm. Not overly clingy, and can fend for them self but will still trust me enough to depend on me, humor, sweet, powerful yet not power-crazy, mothering ability, and a kind of connection with nature, do you know what I mean?" I nodded, smiled, and yawned. "Maybe we can consider continuing this conversation tommorow come sunrise, but for now you need some sleep. My father insisted on us sharing a room, but the remodels have already been completed, so lets go see our new room." Before I could say anything he picked me up bridal style.Zuko carried me into a huge room. then set me down on a giant bed, which I noted was the only one in the room. He handed me a red nightgown with lace on top.

Zuko pointed out the bathroom, where I quickly got changed and sped back out. I slid under the covers and Zuko joined my side, before whispering goodnight, and we both extinguished our bedside candles and the miniscule flames in our chandelier.