005

"Don't do it." Jack said over the howling wind of the cold Atlantic air.

The red-haired woman who stood on the edge of the boat heard the unfamiliar voice, and looked back at him. "Stay back!" She ordered. "Don't come any closer!"

The young man was not going to give up on the woman. "Come on, give me your hand! I'll pull you back over." He offered, extending his palm out to the girl who grasped onto the railing of the ship.

"No!" She countered. "Stay where you are! I mean it! I'll let go..." she threatened, looking down at the rushing icy water below her. If she had taken a step forward and let the rail go, she would fall into the freezing water and die from either the fall, or the cold. But that would not happen on Jack's watch.

The young man sighed and took one last drag of his cigarette, before walking over to the railing and throwing it over the edge of the ship into the water. He then stuffed his cold hands into the pockets of his brown trousers before looking back at the beautiful girl, who continued to grasp the railing.

"No you won't." He provoked.

She looked at him with disgust. "What do you mean 'No I won't'? Don't presume to tell me what I will and will not do, you don't know me!" she argued, lowering her eyebrows in anger.

He shrugged. "Well, you would've done it already."

She rolled her eyes. "You're distracting me! Now go away." The young woman demanded, then looked back down at the water below her.

"I can't." He said. "I'm involved now. If you jump, I'm gonna have to go in there after ya." He spoke as he began to take off his cheap jacket.

"Don't be absurd!" She looked at him again and watched as he began to take his shoes off. "You'll be killed."

"I'm a good swimmer." He insisted.

"The fall alone, will kill you." She informed.

He continued to untie his shoes. "It would hurt! I'm not saying it wouldn't. To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about that water being so cold." Jack finally slipped one of his shoes off.

The red-haired woman looked at the water once more, before back at the handsome man behind her. "How cold?"

"Freezing." He shrugged, looking up at her. "Maybe a couple degrees over." He slipped the other shoe off before standing up again. "You uh, ever been to Wisconsin?"

The young woman looked at him as if he were mad. "What?"

"Well they have some of the coldest win'ers around." He explained. "I grew up there by Chirpwood Falls. I remember when I was a kid, me and my father went ice fishing down on Lake Wisoda." Jack looked at the woman, and noticed she was in a daze. "Ice fishing is when-"

"I know what ice fishing is!" She snapped, then sighed.

Jack was taken aback, assuming she did not know since she was clearly a first class passenger. "Sorry. You just seem, you know, kind of an 'indoor girl'. Anyway, I uh..." he cleared his throat. "I fell through some thin ice. And I'm telling you, water that cold, like right down there," he pointed over the side of the railing at the rushing current beneath them. "It hits you like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body. You can't breathe, you can't think, well at least not about anything but the pain." He shoved his hands in his pockets again. "Which is why I'm not looking forward to jumping in there after ya." He shrugged, looking at the woman. Jack then took off his blazer. "Like I said, I'm not gonna have a choice. I guess I'm kinda hoping for you to climb back over the rail and get me off the hook here."