Everything I said, everything I did had to be adequate, or else I was nothing to my family.

"I guess you're right," I peeped, checking my blindspot. "Now," Cooper continued, mouth full of room temperature french fries. "That is a sign of politeness for almost anyone else, expect you." I didn't know what he meant by that.

"Soph," my heart skipped, "You're trying to please everyone, you need to stop. If you keep living your life while making sure that other people like the life you live, you'll never be truly happy. But besides that, you have no one you have to impress here. We all love you, and we want you to focus on yourself."

I huffed, "Focusing on myself if why I moved out here in the first place, Coop."

"But you're still scared." I began to get irritated, I didn't understand why this had to be a topic of discussion. "And I know you still are because you're gripping that steering wheel like its the last thing you'll ever touch."

I furrowed my eyebrows, releasing my tight knuckles, "How did-"

"When you lack one of the five senses, all of the other ones tend to grow in strength. I can feel what you're feeling, rather than reading it on your face." I could see the smirk stretched across his face from the corner of my eye. "And since I know you're scared, I want you to know that I am too."

My chest softened and so did my grip. "I can't believe that I am sitting in a car with one of the most breath taking girls I've ever met on the way to a wedding of people I don't know and it's just me. Noah isn't in the bag seat nagging me on and on about how I should probably take it easy and stupid shit like that. This whole situation is crazy to me, Sophie. And-"

He paused before sighing, "I'm just glad it was you I decided to step out of my comfort zone with. This really is where the magic happens."

I felt my cheeks warm up a rosy pink and a soft grin on my face spread out. "I feel the same way. Um, it was a huge leap for me to even get in the car when I decided to leave Broken Hill. I never thought I would actually make it across the continent," I chuckled softly. "But maybe if I knew what was waiting for me on the other side, you know, you and Addie and Noah, maybe I would have packed my bags earlier and pushed the petal a little harder."

I glanced over to see Cooper looking my way, just a little above the steering wheel, his famous pearly smile displayed across his face.

After a few moments of silence, the need to ask came over me, "How are you so strong all the time?"

For some reason, the fact that Cooper has lived this long with such a tragic childhood behind his back and walking forward with his head held high and his skin glowing and smile shining, was amazing to me. Just being born blind to begin with is a struggle in itself. But to have the blindness be the reason to lose a sibling at such a young age, the guilt on his shoulders must have been the world. I didn't know how he did it.

Cooper finished the last of the french fries, handing me two or three for me to chew on as well. "I don't know, Sophie. Even though I live in a constant eclipse, I know the sun shines the brightest. I know the warmth of it; on my skin as well as my soul.  The sun gives life, but even when it sets its beautiful. The darkness comes then, and I am back in my world again. And the cold comes again, the loneliness comes back. But I know the sun will rise again. And I keep my window open so I can feel the glow and know that its safe to awake. Your presence fills my body like the sun does. I feel okay around you and I've never felt so secure when your skin brushes against mine."

My heart pounded, feeling myself needing to make that kind of mindset, but it also pounded at the words he just spoke to me, making my palms sweat and my upper teeth bite my bottom lip. "You make me feel safe, too, Coop. I've never met anyone like you before."

Before we could touch bases and make each other's hearts melt again, I pulled into the venue and parked the Jeep. I could see the guests in the distance, the beautiful daisy covered plastic chairs, the table in which the cake was placed, the little kids running around. I looked to my right, and there it was, my sister's white and newly polished Ford Focus.

My breath seemed to get sucked back into my throat and my stomach twisted into a knot, the nerves were building up. "Are we here?" Cooper's voice asked. I hummed in response.

I felt his hand rest on my knee, enhancing the butterflies I was already feeling. I looked to him, his eyes surprisingly locked with mine accurately. "Are you strong enough for this?"

I grinned, "Yep I am."

-------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

wow, wow, wow! this chapter was pretty hard to write for some reason, I just wasn't sure I was writing it the best way I could but i think i like the finish project. I hope you do too :) ALSO I HOPE YOU LIKE THE NEVER COVER I ABSOLUTELY ADORE IT ITS SO BRIGHT AND TROPICAL AND SMO LIKE I LOVE IT.

thank you so much for reading, it means the world to me like 400 READS HOLY CRAP!!!! remember to comment and vote! i love you all so much!

-nicole robinson