Part 1 (Flashback)

Start from the beginning

"Kale told me the same thing the other day." I say after another long pause. "I guess Robert has a way of exploiting people's feelings to get what he wants."

Julian frowns. "Yeah, and that's how he gets so many people- especially teenagers- to work for him."

Curious, I ask, "How many people are we talking?"

"Easily a hundred or so."

"A hundred or so?" I mimic in disbelief.

Julian laughs. "Yeah, ridiculous isn't it? 

"Isn't that a bit too much? It's not like he's trafficking girls to and from other countries."

"Actually..." 

I stare at Julian in horror. "No."

He scratches the back of his head. "He has people all over the world, Ree. It's a really big black market operation- the biggest one out there. I'm surprised Kale hasn't told you."

"Yeah," I say absentmindedly. I was surprised as well.

"How-how did you find all this out then?"

"A little while back I overheard some guys talking about the trades and how much they were betting on the girls getting sold. After that, I did a little researching of my own and found out about Robert's system."

 "Are you still working for him?"

I can visibly see him hesitate. "Yes."

I guess he sees the look of disbelief in my eyes because he quickly puts in, "I can't just stop working for him, Rory! He will kill my parents and that is not just a subtle threat, it's a fact. You saw what happened with Kara!"

"Yes, but what about the hundreds of innocent girls who are losing themselves to this horrible industry, Julian? What about their dreams? Their lives? Why don't you just go to the police?"

"The police?" He scoffs. "Robert has some people of his who are cops. There is no way out of this."

"Kale found a way out."

"After his sister and his mom died. After years of being his dad's lapdog- actually, no, he still is his dad's lapdog. He never found a way out! Kale's living in fear everyday, Rory. He may not show it, but he's scared to death of what might happen to his adoptive parents, his friends, and especially you!"

I stay quiet.

Julian was right. 

No matter what Kale did, Robert would always be there. 

"What can we do then?" I finally ask.

"If I knew, I would be long gone, Ree, long gone."

Once again, a tense silence falls between us

"Can I tell you something?" Julian asks, breaking the silence.

I nod in response. "Yeah?"

"I didn't move to Maple Bay just because."

"Yeah, you-"

He cuts me off, "No. I came here because Robert told me to."

My eyes widen in response. "This whole time you've been spying on me for him?!"

"I was... but then I got to know you and the more I did, the less I wanted to tell Robert about you."

"But you still did." I say flatly.

"No! I've been giving him false information this whole time. I swear."

Looking into his eyes, I could tell it was the truth.