CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

I recounted to Aunt Anna what had just happened a few minutes ago. My voice was shaking as I spoke. Aunt Anna listened intently and comforted me with soothing words and gentle touches on my back.

Tears streaming down my face as I relived the moment. "And then he asked me to marry him because it was in Mom's last testament and her will," I told her.

Aunt Anna held me closer, enveloping me warmly and pressing her lips to my forehead. "Don't cry, child. We'll figure out a solution," she said softly.

I pulled away from her, wiped away my tears and tried to compose myself. "I don't know, Aunt Anna. It's all so complicated. It's like I've suddenly stumbled into a labyrinthine maze with no exit," I said, my voice filled with frustration and exasperation.

She chuckled softly and tousled my hair. "Life is always complicated, Kelly. And it's especially so when you're the granddaughter of a tycoon. Expect more surprises to come your way."

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to make sense of everything. Did Mom plan all of this? Why did she want me to marry the grandson of the tycoon? Was it all because of business?

"Did Mom talk to you about this before she passed away?" I asked her, hoping for answers.

"Well, I knew of Mr. Renato Adams, but I never knew about the arranged marriage and all that," she said honestly, shrugging her shoulders.

I nodded silently, took a deep breath, and looked up at the clock on the wall. "I should go to bed now," I said weakly, indicating the time.

Aunt Anna nodded in agreement and kissed me on the forehead. "Yes, you should rest."

A knock at my door was jolting me awake as I was settling in. I groggily opened my eyes and looked up at the ceiling before going to the door.

I rub my eyes to clear the sleep from them. "What's going on?" I asked.

"Your friend Kyla is here," Aunt Anna said with a smile.

She gestured towards the stairs.

As I opened the door, Kyla was standing there, which was unusual for her to visit me so early in the morning. "This early?" I asked, confused.

"She said it's about your science project," Kyla answered.

I gasped before excusing myself and closing the door. I quickly showered and changed into casual clothes before going downstairs.

"Kelly Veronique Smith, how dare you abandon me during my nightmare of computing numbers all day?" Kyla playfully rebuked me.

I could sense the teasing tone in her voice and stifled a giggle.

"You think that's funny? You immature brat, you ruined my face. Just look at the eye bags beginning to -" She stopped mid-sentence and stared at me intently, making me uncomfortable.

"What?" I asked, feeling self-conscious.

"You look disgusting," she said bluntly.

I was taken aback by her comment. "Wow, I don't know whether I should express my gratitude or tell you to screw off," I replied sarcastically, ruffling my hair.

"No, really. Look at your eyes! They're too swollen and..." she trailed off, shuddering dramatically.

I raised an eyebrow and took her project in her arms, scanning the paperwork. "You've got the computations all wrong," I complained as I flipped through the pages.

"Well, whose fault is it? If only you helped me through it, we would be completely safe, but you chose to take the stiff troublesome road," she retorted.

I looked at her incredulously and smirked. "Well, we've got to revise all of these, and then I've wanted to tell you something."

She scoffed, and I tightened my grip on the project before leading her upstairs. After she settled down, I revised the project before explaining what had happened yesterday.

As I talked, Kyla's eyes grew wider and wider, and she nodded with every word I said. "That's so confusing," she muttered, putting her hands under her chin.

"I know. That's why I'm hoping for a quick solution," I sighed, reviewing the paperwork.

"Yeah, you should definitely think about it thoroughly. This isn't child's play; it's a serious matter," Kyla advised.

I glanced up at her, and the image of the ocean-blue eyes from last night flashed across my mind.