Chapter 1

Madelin's POV

Friday 

I wake up to the very unpleasant sight of my foster brother. Sneering at me, he said, "it's about time you woke up. It's 6:30 and I want breakfast." I hop out of bed, being wary of my brother, trying to move as fast as possible to avoid being punched. In the stomach. For the seventeenth time in forty-eight hours. 

I get downstairs as fast as possible, wearing my AND Peggy tee. I hurry to throw the pancakes in the microwave and fix the coffee. I handed it to my brother who said," these taste horrible, next time make it yourself." He then gave the usual punishment, a punch to the stomach. I go back upstairs, run a brush though my short, light brown very curly hair, and grab my school things. Time for school. First day! Wheee!

I slide into my seat in home room next to my best friend, James. "Hey Madelin! Cool shirt!" He said. Then I realize I had my AND Peggy one on. It was one of my favorites. And you may think, oh, you're dating! No, he is, like the king of gay.  And we like talking about the dudes together. Me and James only got close because everyone thinks we are weird. No one liked James because his full name is James Levin Crysanthium. Apparently that is a strange name. It sounds normal to me. My name is Madelin Alexis Lacie. My name is weirder than his. Why that is a reason not to have friends, I have no clue.

After homeroom, we have APUSH. That is AP U.S History. It is pretty uneventful, we have to write an essay on how Charles Lee was important to the revolution for homework. Next is Chemistry.

Most of my school day was uneventful. In English, we got no homework. For my Algebra 2/Trigonometry class, I have 2 sheets of homework. In chemistry, nothing. For French class, a page of translations. Nothing I can't handle.

When I get home I go straight up to my room and start working on homework. The essay was easy and boring, the translations were fun. Now to the difficult stuff. Math. The I hear someone calling me downstairs. "I am having my girlfriend over and I don't want you here. Leave the house until dinner." "Okay." I grab my homework, earbuds, and phone and go to the park. There is a nice picnic spot there that I can do my homework. Once I get there, I put out my homework. I put in my earbuds and turn on Hamilton on shuffle. Of course the first thing it puts on is The World Was Wide Enough. And then Non-Stop. I mean, really? Phone are you killing me? 

After I finish my math, I decide to burn time and wander around the city. New York is really a nice place, if you really think about it. I end up in the broadway area, near the Richard Rodgers theatre. There is a large crowd, then I realize it is time for a ham4ham. Awesome! I wonder who will win the lottery? Probably not me. There are hundreds of thousands of people and I am only one in the crowd. I will not get my hopes up. The lottery names are being called. "And Madelin Lacie!" Oh. My. Fricking. God. I won the Hamilton lottery! Yes! I collect my ticket and rush home for dinner. 

I hurry and make spaghetti for my parents and brother. When my foster father is finished eating, I ask if I can have a sleepover at a friends house. "Fine. But you must be home before lunch tomorrow. And don't tell how you got the bruises. Understand?" "Yes, sir." I reply. "Now get out of my house!" "Yes sir" I grab my duffel bag, a change of clothes, my phone, charger, and earbuds, and then I leave. 

On the way over I text James.

MadeLIN: hey, can I sleep over there tonight? I won the Hamilton lottery and I told Peter I was sleeping over at a friends house.

King Gay the third🏳️‍🌈: Omg! Lucky! My parents are out of town so you can stay. I'll see you in a few!😀

MadeLIN: thanks! I will drop my things over there then I have to go!

King Gay the third🏳️‍🌈: Bye!

When I got there, I knocked on his door. " come in!" He yelled from upstairs. I went up to his room and dropped my things. He immediately searched my bag for chocolate. "Did you bring me any?" He asked. "No." "meanie" he wines. "Suck it up." I said, then left. "Bye!" I then began the long walk to the Richard Rodgers theatre. 

When I walked up to the usher, he took me to my seat. It was seat A14, in the middle of the front row. Awesome! "Thanks." I said. Then I got seated for the show. In a few minutes the show would start. 

"How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence impoverished in squalor grow up to be a hero and a scholar?" Leslie Odom jr. sang. He is amazing.

Through the show, I cried laughed and thought about killing someone. Any show that does that to a person is awesome. Now is the best part. I get to meet the cast! That was part of the lottery. So me and all the rest of the lottery winners go backstage. The first person I see is Daveed Diggs. "Hi. I'm Madelin. I think you do really well as Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson! I like Lafayette better though!" " oh, thanks!" " also can you sign this?" "Sure!" I do this for the rest of the cast until I get to Lin. "Hi! I'm Madelin. This musical is amazing! You have no idea how obsessed I am with it. The music is amazing and well written, and the cast is wonderful! Thank you for creating the lottery. I would never have seen it otherwise." "Also, can you sign this?" " of course." After this, I leave.

When I get to James's house, I knock on the door and James opens it. " how was it?" "The musical was amazing! Also, I got Lin to sign you a program." "Thanks. Now it's bedtime." I nodded and lay down in the sleeping bag he had just for when I came over and fell asleep.