Her Before Him

Im Eva. My parents, Amelia and Jacob, were a cliche. They met in highschool, feel in love and got married... ops, i mean pregnant. In a typical love story, that would lead to a marriage and a happily ever after. In their life, a real one, my dad's parents couldn't accept the fact that he impregnated a teenager of lower status, and just like that, we never had contact with his family. My mothers family rejected her, and soon enough she was pregnant and living in the streets. Luckily for us, we met Isobel. Isobel was passing by my moms small hometow when she saw our awful situation, and decided that my mom would be the manager of her restaurant back where she lived, Oslo.I was born, and called Eva because that means life, and my mom told me that i gave her a new chance at one, by giving her purpose. As I grew up, my mom earned enough cash to give us a very good life. We lived together in a 2 floors and 2 bedrooms house, Isobel being our neighbor and my godmother.
When i turned 5 my dad started looking for us, and managed to destroy everything we built. He told my mom that he wanted custody of me, and he would get it as he had more money and was married. Married. That 7 letter word was what made my mom start drinking so much, instead of fighting for my custody. Thats why, she eventually lost me.
FLASHBACK ISOBEL/EVA
-when am i coming back to you and mommy? asked a tiny 6 year old Eva to Isobel. Amelia had just lost custody and Isobel was saying goodbye to her, because her mom couldn't bother leaving whatever bar she was in to even attend the court session.
- you know honey, mommy is really sick right now, and im going to take care of her so don't worry ok? But this man right here is your daddy, and his wife. They love you so much they told me they would take care of you while mommy can't ok?
- but didn't you say that daddy left me? -Teary eyed Eva asked Isobel.
- i did but he came back, cause he missed you so much. I love you honey. We will see each other again ok?
-ok. I love you too Isy.- they hugged and cried for as long as they could, until her dad picked her up, taking her away from the only life she knew.
END OF FLASHBACK
As I grew up i soon realized that my dad didn't really want me back, he just couldn't have in the small town he was from, the fame of having left a pregnant women to die, which was the truth. I never had good moments with my father, and his stuck up wife hated me.
FLASHBACK EVA/JACOB(dad)/WIFE
Her dad seemed like a very strict man. When they got to his house, he led her towards a really small bedroom, kind of dusty, and with no toys or anything to do.
-this is where you will be sleeping Eva. We don't like a mess so please keep the space neat.- eva, at that young age, just could't believe she was gonna have to live there.
- Come with me. This is the library. You may read whatever, just put everything back in place. - and right there he gave her a escape. Eva spent pretty much every day after school reading and reading and reading again. Guess what she turned into? A bit brainy. She never really saw her father or his wife, just sometimes passing her without even saying anything in the hallways.
END OF FLASHBACK
I just really preferred my mom and godmother. But then, everything changed again. When I was 12 Isobel called the house.
FLASHBACK EVA/JACOB/ISOBEL
-what the hell do you want with her? You better now that this is a one time thing, I won't have you calling her all the time. Eva! - she heard her father call from the living room and went quietly towards him.- Isobel on the phone. - he said it sort of not expecting her to remember Isobel, but little did he know that every time she went to the park alone, she met her godmother, and never forgot her.
-Isy? I miss you.-She said in the phone after her dad left the room.
-oh honey i miss you too! - Eva could tell she was close to crying.
- whats going on?
- oh Eva, its your mom swetty. She overdosed i am really sorry
- is she in the hospital? Shes going to be fine right?
- honey, she didnt make it.
They cried together on the phone, ultill her dad took it away. But she never told him why she was crying.
END OF FLASHBACK
After that i made a plan. My dad was going to have to sign some school papers, and he usually didn't really read them. So after school one day I got emancipation papers online, and made him sign them unknowingly. After that i went to a judges room for a meeting.
FLASHBACK
-please, i dont want to live with him anymore. I want to be with my godmother. Please.- Eva begged the judge.
-but Eva does he abuse you or anything?- eva explained to her why her dad took her from her mom in the first place and said:
- the rules for emancipation say that if I have somewhere to go with someone to take of me and a stable lifestyle than it can be granted. Please my godmother owns a restaurant in Oslo, has enough money for the both of us, and is like a mother to me. - she could see that the judge thought it was a good enough life for her, but couldn't understand her reasons for wanting to leave her father. - I can show you that he doesn't care about me! - her eyes shined, and the judge said please do, wanting to give her what she wanted. So eva asked for her phone and called her house.
- yes this is jacob
- its me dad
- where the fuck are you? And where are you calling from? Did you steal somebodys phone?
-just checking in. I will be there after school.
-checking in? What the hell. Don't bother coming back until next week.
Silently the judge signed the papers and Eva was on her way.
END OF FLASHBACK
After that and a massive fight with my dad, that involved the words never come back here again you disgrace of a child, I went back to Oslo, my godmother and me couldn't be happier to be with each other. From age 12 to 14I went to a school close to our home and worked at the restaurant while studying in the afternoons. On my 14 birthday, and the last one before highschool, I asked my godmother if i could travel to Madrid, a place I had always wanted to see,and that my school had an exchange programm partnership with. I wolf get to spend a year in Madrid and then come back to do my other three years of highshool at Nissen. My godmother, now with a very good lifestyle as the diner became famous, granted my wish and off I went to the city where i met my best friend, Noora Amalie Saetre.
FLASHBACK EVA/NOORA
Eva was walking on the center of Oslo, checking a place with vintage clothes when she tripped, falling on top of a girl.
-im so sorry! Wow, are you Norwegian, you have the looks.
-Omg yes!! I left this year to come to Madrid to live here.
After that they spent not only the whole afternoon but the whole school year together. By the end of it, Noora had already explained why she was living in Madrid during a bonding session.
They were eating when Eva said
- Oh my god, this food is amazing. Of course my godmother beats this but it's probably number two on my list - they laughed.
- Hey so, why do you live with your godmother?
- Noora, come to Oslo and stay there. We can go to school together, and you don't have to worry, we can both be a family. They cried and Eva left.
After telling her about her background she asked about Noora's.
- My parents didn't really expect me either. But unline you, i didn't get lucky by having someone on my corner, it was just me. After middle school, a hundred mistakes and realizing that i already lived alone i decided that i could work for a living and make my life. So that's when I came to Madrid. I still miss Oslo though.
- Don't worry Noora, my home is always open to you back there.
Noora met Isobel when she came to visit Eva for a week and then became a permanent figure on their weekly skype calls.
END OF FLASHBACK
Not surprisingly a month before the school year began, Noora was my neighbor in Oslo, living with Eskild and Linn. I convinced that she should go back to live with Isobel and me. Still leaning towards independency, she decided to live close by, and always came over for lunch after school and before she had to get to work - which was at Isobel's restaurant, of course with a very high salary and few working hours. I asked her once why she was so kind to Noora and she said, "I can see myself and my best friend in you both. It warms my heart to feel her friendship around me again". We cried about mom, and stayed up late watching home movies of my childhood.
Now im about to start my second year of highschool with Noora at Nissen.
I'm ready for another great year with my bestie and my fairygodmom.
Eva Mohn

Let me know what you think about Eva
Vic 🖤